Final Weekend Trip Part 2: Palmyra, NY  

Monday, July 27, 2009


Although our trip to Niagara Falls was an amazing experience on it's own, we continued our weekend in Palmyra. We prepared for the trip by telling Jackson stories from Church history all week. He seemed excited about it, so we were hoping for the best.

We arrived in Palmyra just in time for the final show of the Hill Cumorah Pageant. We were so thrilled to see so many people from all over the country gather for this event. We were not thrilled with the protesters who were constantly yelling offensive things through megaphones and signs. I had a chat with the kids before we got out of the car about the people yelling mean things. What a difference in spirit as we left the parking area to go to the field where the pageant was to be held.

We got great seats to the pageant and the production was incredible. It had 720 emebers in the cast and the set included fire and water effects and was a sight to behold. I was very impressed. The set was built on Hill Cumorah, and it seemed so majestic as the hill stood as the tallest point for several miles. Jackson was riveted for the full show, and asked several questions as the stories from the Book of Mormon were shown on stage. I only wish that the story of Joseph Smith played more of a role in the show. Bennett was not the best trooper as he was still recovering from our day at Niagara Falls. Lets just say that Greg got a great arm workout that night. The kids fell asleep in the car and fell right to sleep once we got to the hotel.


The next morning we went to church in Palmyra (the biggest church building I have ever been to...and it was full all the way up to the stage). As I left church I ran smack into Julie Mack, my BYU roommate. I was hoping I would see someone I knew, and I was thrilled to run into such a dear friend. After church we left to walk with the kids through the sacred grove. This was my favorite part of Palmyra. The trees were gorgeous and the pathways that weave through the woods were serene. The kids were good and even Jackson settled down on a bench with us and let us tell him some stories about the sacred grove. We had a peaceful time and we did our best (with kids) to take in the feelings and spirit of the place and the sacred nature of the things that occurred there. Jackson's rock and stick throwing detracted from the spirit a bit, but it made me think that the Smith boys had probably done the same thing in those same woods at his age.



I stayed to take some pictures of the Smith home and farm (we opted not to take the boys in for the sake of those around us) and drove past the Palmyra temple for some pictures.



We finally drove up to the top of the Hill Cumorah (sore arms+church heels=driving to the top instead of walking). We saw the monument they had erected at the top of the hill. The area looked as if it had been landscaped by the temple square gardeners and proved to be a beautiful setting.





We then drove home. What was supposed to be a 5 1/2 hour trip with the help of traffic quickly became an 8 hour trek home. Aside from that it was a perfect weekend. I can't wait to do it again when our kids are older and appreciate the historical significance a little more.

Jackson had some great quotes on the drive home. Here are a few for you to enjoy:

"Dang, Dang, Dang, Dangit! I forgot to get chocolate ice cream! (an hour after his vanilla frosty from Wendy's)

"Dad you are not supposed to eat all the goldfish! You re supposed to say, 'Jackson I'm sorry I ate all the goldfish, I won't do that again.' Can you say that dad?"

(singing to himself) "Oh Shoes Hannah, oh don't you cry for me..."

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ Final Weekend Trip Part 2: Palmyra, NY ”

  • Jill
    July 27, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

    So glad you got to make this trip. You are such great parents. Loved the Jackson quotes, and all the pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

  • Jordan
    July 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

    very nice, very nice... don't the protestors make you riled up inside? it is sad to look at them because they just seem so missing of any light.. they need help. sounds like a great trip though! I am amazed at how many trips you all have taken... pretty cool!

  • brittany
    July 27, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

    i love that you guys were able to pack all of this amazing stuff into your time there! Way to make the most of it. i bet these will be amazing memories for years to come.

  • Angela and Mike
    July 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

    I love the Jackson quotes, especially when he is telling Greg how he SHOULD have behaved. I love those church sites. The pagent is AMAZING. I still remember it. I think I took a picture from the top of the hill like you did too. What a great trip for you guys. And...I'm totally sure Joseph Smith threw rocks and sticks...he was a boy afterall.

  • Clark
    July 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

    Actually, when the Smiths were that age, they would have been in Vermont, which is way different...

    Sounds like a fun trip, I'm very jealous.