Birthday Bub  

Wednesday, July 8, 2009



Bennett had his first birthday just two days after Greg and it was so special to have both sets of Grandparents (and Uncle Jordan) in town to celebrate. In fact, in all the hubbub I completely forgot to let Bennett eat his cake. But I did remember to make him one and he even got to blow out the candles (well Jackson blew them out, but Bennett didn't mind). I had originally planned to go simple on his cake this year, but as the day finally came, I didn't want this to fall into the "second child syndrome" where Bennett gets a slightly less cool version of Jackson's life. So I went all out (well as all out as I am able to go with the limited kitchen utensils I have). I was proud of the outcome. My only regret was the less than stellar icing job, which left the windows, lights, and wheels a little saggy.


Here is the Bus cake in all it's glory. I chose a bus cake because even though Bennett is now on the move, he will always quiet right down and relax when I start in with a verse of "Wheels on the Bus." In fact, I believe I have come up with more unique bus items and sounds than I originally thought possible. My busses usually include a myriad of family members, animals, clothing, and construction vehicles in addition to the classic wipers, horn, and driver.

Bennett enjoyed his presents (although Jackson enjoyed them more) as well as his basketball and football (which Jackson immediately confiscated). Bennett gave us a gift too. As we finished dinner I leaned over and said "say goodbye Bennett" as I do each time we leave anywhere (he never does)...and he did! He waved goodbye to the entire family and graced us with his beautiful grin to show how proud he was of his accomplishment. Nearly brought me to tears.

Well my baby is one. Having a baby younger than one provides a safety net for me, It makes me feel as if the next time I have to be pregnant is a long, long way off. But as soon as that first birthday comes and goes, the anxiety starts to set in and the thought of number three just looms closer and closer. I think I'll just stop thinking about it for awhile, until the thought of pregnancy again begins to fade.

It may be a long while.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 Validations of my effort: to “ Birthday Bub ”

  • Crystal
    July 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

    I feel the same about having another child...Like I just got done having a baby and soon I will be thinking of having another. The cake is so cute what did you make the windows out of?

  • Angela and Mike
    July 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

    Once you get the baby ball rolling...it doesn't stop (for a while that is). Bennett is the cutest one year old out there. I love the birthday cake. Very impressive. I also love how helpful and enthusiastic Jackson is with everything :)

    Happy birthday buddy! We miss you!

  • Jill
    July 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

    Happy birthday, dear little Bennett. Give him a kiss from us.

    Fabulous cake. Is there ANYTHING you're not good at?

  • Jen
    July 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

    Cute cake! And getting excited to have you back here!! :)