Daily Workout  

Thursday, July 9, 2009

When we first arrived to our apartment, we were thrilled to have a gym just a few steps from our front door. Greg and I made goals and kept them...for awhile. But now, life has taken over and finding time to schedule in our workouts has taken a backseat to the demands of our everyday lives.

But you may be surprised to read that I feel no guilt. Today I realized that my day is comprised of a workout schedule of its own.

My workout includes carrying a 20+ pound weight nearly everywhere I go. To the car. To the pool. To the office. To the mailbox. Up the stairs. Around New York. All around the apartment. My biceps are getting a workout. I woke up with sore arms this morning. This grueling workout is not for the faint of heart. Or the faint of arms.

My workout includes pitching balls to a son who has an incredible stamina for baseball. When I start to lose steam, I say "Okay Jackson, only 5 more pitches."

" Okay," he says. "But don't count!" This makes for some long throwing sessions.

My workout includes an obstacle course through our apartment. Pick up the laundry in one hand, empty popsicle wrappers in the other hand, while trying to keep from stepping on the goldfish littered on the floor and walking slowly enough that I don't trip on my son who is crawling under me and eating goldfish as he goes.

My workout consists of carrying a three-year old to timeout several times each day when he spits water on the wall, tries to "ride" his brother, or uses his hands for destructive purposes. The balance and strength to carry 35 pounds of wriggling, angry weight, is no small feat indeed.

So for now, my gym key may go unused, and my workout videos may be gathering dust, but my motherhood workout is in full swing. If anyone would like a free trial of this revolutionary exercise regimen, contact a mother near you, or feel fee to come watch my kids for a few hours, it is guaranteed to leave you exhausted.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 Validations of my effort: to “ Daily Workout ”

  • Angela and Mike
    July 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

    haha. I love this post. That IS quite the workout. I love picturing little Bennett at your feet eating the goldfish.

    I can attest, that carrying that 20 lbs around is no easy task. That's my current workout. I guess one day I, too, will add in time out sessions, baseball tosses and all sorts of other fun.

  • Leslie
    July 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

    This post is hilarious. Because it's true, I go to bed feeling exhausted and yet, haven't been to the gym all day. You're a great writer. When you come back, I'll hit up the YMCA with you. Either that or we can just get together and run around with our kids. Glad you guys are having a good summer. We miss you.

  • Renee
    July 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

    Amen to this post! Crazy how many calories you burn just being a mom!

  • hilary w
    July 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

    I couldn't agree more! When I put Grace down and my muscles are shaky from holding her so long, I know I must have burned some calories!