Final Weekend Trip Part 1: Niagara Falls  

Wednesday, July 22, 2009


Well after a summer of amazing weekend trips, we finished off our adventures with one very ambitious weekend. Very ambitious.

Friday night at 6 we took off on a 5 1/2 hour road trip to Palmyra. We arrived at our "luxurious" (no visible bugs) travel lodge accommodations and packed our whole family into one hotel room (a feat we have never done, and the kids did great). We woke up the next morning and drove another hour and a half to Niagara Falls (the American side).


We have been to New York, Washington D.C., Hershey, and Philadelphia this Summer. But spending the day at Niagara falls was far and away my favorite trip we have taken. Jackson was almost paralyzed with excitement to see the "huge, huge, huge, HUGE waterfall." We started the day braving the falls at the Cave of the Winds. We all donned some stylish yellow ponchos and made our way down the rickety looking steps (why did I think this was safe?). Bennett cried. and cried. and cried. Was it the sound of the waterfall? The wet conditions? The crowds of people? No, it was the poncho that had him in a tiff. He spent the next 20 minutes clawing at the plastic trying to free his body from the yellow poncho of death. Aside from that it was fun to be so close to the falls. We even got Bennett distracted enough to take this semi decent picture.

Afterwards we sat through an imax movie. It was all about tales and legends of people going over the falls. It talked of Blondin the Acrobat who walked over Niagara Falls on a tightrope, the woman who went over in a barrel and survived, and a family who's boat stopped working throwing them over the falls, only to survive the fall. It was incredibly interesting and [dangit] made me cry again (why did becoming a mom have to make me stinking emotional? Even 101 dalmations makes me cry and I don't even like dogs!)

Afterwards we announced to Jackson that we were going to go on the boat (the Maid of the Mist) that takes us right by the falls. His eyes got huge and he got very quiet. "Are we going to go down the waterfall?" I guess watching the movie gave him the jitters, and he was petrified.


The Maid of this Mist was an unreal experience. We again donned ponchos (blue this time, a much more fashionable color) and walked on the boat. Bennett was an angel (he was a pro with the plastic clothing by this point) and Jackson was a zombie. He stared and stared at those falls. It was amazing to be in this little boat rolling and rocking with the rapids as we neared closer and closer to the enormous falls. The mist was so much I had to back into the middle of the boat at times. Greg and Jackson were loving it! It felt more like a thrill ride than I expected. Worth every penny.




The day was wonderful. On our weekend trips we often do things that are fun for the kids, but that wouldn't be considered "fun" for adults (aside from the joy of watching your kids have fun). But I think the kids loved Niagara falls just as much as we did. I would love to go back for more than a day and maybe spend some time on the Canada side.

Coming Soon: Part 2:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


8 Validations of my effort: to “ Final Weekend Trip Part 1: Niagara Falls ”

  • Carly
    July 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

    That sounds like an awesome trip. I laughed and laughed about 101 Dalmatians, because just last week I was watching that with Logan and I bawled through the whole thing. What is the deal?

  • Jordan
    July 22, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

    awesome! you know Heidi, your blogs are one of the only things I read regularly, besides the B.O.M., so you should keep writing because I enjoy it. Looking forward to part 2!

  • Renee
    July 22, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

    How awesome that you are seeing all the sights! Your kids are troopers for sure. How are you liking it back East? Looks like an amazing experience. Keep posting pictures!

  • Erica
    July 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

    If you do want to come back, you know you have a free place to stay! We are 20 minutes from the Falls.

  • Jill
    July 23, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

    They truly are an amazing sight, and I'm so glad you got there. I am truly impressed at all that you can accomplish with your young children. For the record, you guys look good in yellow AND in blue.

  • brittany
    July 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

    that sounds like so much fun!

  • Angela and Mike
    July 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

    Awesome! I love Niagra Falls. Did you know that only a percentage of the water actually crosses the falls (they channel it for energy etc.)? If they had all the water going over it would be so much more thunderous. I'm so glad your kids liked it. I'll have to go on that little boat some time. It sounded kinda scary, but a neat experience too.

  • hilary w
    July 25, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

    That sounds great! I honestly wouldn't think a trip to Niagara Falls would top your list of amazing trips. But you make it sound awesome! I love the story of Jackson trepidly asking if you were going to go over the falls in your boat. That's priceless.