Jurisidictions  

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

With each passing day it seems that a bigger, smarter, taller Jackson, replaces the toddler he once was. And with the start of preschool this year, I kept feeling like it was time to give him more responsibility around the house.

Introduce "Jusrisdictions." A term I took from the Duggar Family (18 kids and counting), Jurisdictions are Jackson's new daily chores. I liked the term jurisdiction because it implies that he is responsible for something. So at our Family night this week I brought out a chart that I made.

It has a jurisdiction for each day (monday through friday) with an accompanying picture. After he finishes each jurisdiction, he gets to write a "J" in the box next to the job. At the end of the week, when each box has it's "J" he gets to get a baby wipe and wipe it off for the next week (I laminated it).

Here are his daily jurisdictions:

Monday: Empty all the small trash cans into the large trash can.
Tuesday: Wipe off surfaces using a baby wipe (kids bathroom counter, fireplace, and end tables)
Wednesday: Empty and sort the silverware from the dishwasher
Thursday: Wipe off surfaces again
Friday: Empty and sort silverware

I opted not to reward him for doing these. I guess I thought a reward implies your jobs are hard or undesirable, but for now, Jackson thinks helping out around the house is a fun thing. I'd like to keep it that way.

Jurisdictions have been a great addition to our family. I only hope it lasts a couple of weeks before Jackson doesn't respond positively anymore. But for the time being, big boy Jackson is a great kid to have around.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 Validations of my effort: to “ Jurisidictions ”

  • Jill
    October 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM  

    Love it! So much better than "jobs." I also like your approach to rewards....which tend to take the personal satisfaction out of the experience. He can just feel helpful (and very important). What a big boy.

  • Jordan
    October 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

    I think that's a great idea Heidi. Maybe I should think of my daily chores as "jurisdictions". I need to look that word up in the dictionary first, but I think it's a good idea non the less.