Bravery
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Today was Jackson's first day of swim lessons. He was excited when he got his swim clothes on. He was excited as we got in the car with his towel and goggles. It wasn't until we started our drive there that reality started to set in for Jackson.
"Does this pool have a deep end?" yes
"Are you going to come in the water with me?" no
"Is there a small part where I can walk on my own?" change the subject.
Jackson is terrified of the water. He clings to me the entire time in the pool and he refuses to put his face anywhere near the water. He is a very adventurous child, but when it comes to water, he is nothing of the sort.
He was quiet as we walked into the locker room. His trepidation increased with each step we took towards the pool. I almost felt bad for putting him in something I knew full well he was completely afraid of.
When the teacher came out, Jackson followed her to the pool, while looking back at me over his shoulder. His face broke my heart. He wasn't crying, but he had a look of that most kids have before getting a shot. He was trying to be brave.
In the water he did exactly what the teacher asked. He clung to her arm and refused to let go. But he kicked and paddled like a champ. I heard him ask his instructor several times if she could lead him to the wall. She answered 'of course not!' in her jovial voice. He looked back at me again. But he kept kicking.
Another time I heard him ask if he could get out of the pool just to say hi to his mom. '5 more minutes' the instructor said, 'and then we are all done.' He kept kicking.
As soon as he finished his lesson, he walked over to me and said 'mom, I went to swim lessons!' His excitement elated me, since I knew what a struggle it was for him.
I dried him off with a towel. 'I love you' he said to break the silence. "I liked my lesson, but I was a tiny bit sad because I wanted to get out and see you. Just a willer bit."
What a big boy Jackson is turning out to be.
September 8, 2009 at 9:04 PM
What a brave boy! Way to go Jackson, we are so proud of you!
I'm so glad he wanted to get out to see you, just a willer bit. Doesn't that just melt your heart. I hope he keeps doing well at swim lessons. Jackson swimming would help your summers a lot!
September 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM
awww that is soo adorable!!!! Hopefully next time will be even better for him!!!GIve hima big hug for me!! That cute little boy!!!
September 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM
I'm glad Landon isn't the only one deathly afraid of the water and dreading swimming lessons! Davis will just walk up to the edge and walk right in if we let him, so maybe there's hope for round 2?
September 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Glod for Jackson for being so brave. I love the fact that he wanted to get out just to say hi. I bet by the time lessons are over he will have conquered his fear.
September 9, 2009 at 6:06 AM
Good for him, and yes, what a cutie!
September 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
September 12, 2009 at 8:30 PM
So dear, and very very brave.
Mommy, too. It can be so hard to let them fight their battles.