Friends and Foes
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
As I spend my day running here and there, cooking this or that, and picking up everything under the sun, there are certain times when I just sit back and take it all in. It's when my kids are friends.
Its when I'm cooking dinner and I recognize the steady hum of playing has been going for quite some time. I peek in on the boys and Jackson is teaching Bennett how to use a new toy, or throwing a ball for him to chase, or encouraging him to stand like a big boy. I smile and sigh behind the wall where the boys won't see me, to afraid to break the magic spell friendship has on these two brothers. Jackson giggles at Bennett's funny noises, and Bennett giggles as Jackson somersaults into some pillows.
But just like a dream, I always wake up. Jackson throws a blanket on Bennett's head. Bennett screams and head butts Jackson. Tempers flare, anger ensues, and both come crying to me. The magic is gone. The boys that once were perfect playmates, are now mortal enemies.
But the buddies will be back, even if it is for just a moment.
September 22, 2009 at 7:52 PM
There is nothing better than when brothers are friends. Just remember even when they are foes, they will soon be friends again.
September 22, 2009 at 8:00 PM
That sounds so familiar. Except we have vicious girl fights.
September 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM
I feel your pain!! But the playing part is the best! Makes it all worth it!
September 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM
I feel your pain!! But the playing part is the best! Makes it all worth it!
September 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM
You are such a good writer Heidi. Sounds kinda like how those Rose boys were when they were kids. Mike always tells me stories of how they'd be totally fighting on the basketball court or wrestling etc. I guess the friend relationship WINS over the foe :)
Miss you guys.
September 22, 2009 at 9:47 PM
I absolutely LOVE this post!! You really capture the precious little life moments so perfectly! I can relate to exactly what you mean!! Those two boys are sooo lucky to have you!! :)
September 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Beautifully expressed. I'm glad you notice the magic. That's the real stuff. And what a GORGEOUS picture.