Weekend Trip #2: Roses Take Manhattan  

Saturday, May 30, 2009


I thought as I walked out of the Penn Station that I would just smell New York. I would feel it in my bones and just take it all in. I would start to crave greasy pizza and feel the itch to hail a cab.

Well as I walked out of Penn Station all I really felt was frustration at how stroller un-friendly the train station was. Remind me never to live in NY if i am ever confined to a wheelchair. Although, I did crave some greasy pizza, but that's pretty much a given for me.

We began our day soaking in the eye candy that is Times Square. Jackson was silent for more than ten minutes (a miracle, he hasn't stayed silent for more than 10 minutes since being in utero) just taking it all in. Despite our fears of over stimulating our easily excitable children we walked into a Toys R Us Megastore and beheld the three story ferris wheel inside and the true to size animatronic T-Rex. Jackson was trying to be brave, but I had to keep reassuring him that it was just pretend.


We grabbed some cheap food and met up with Greg's cousin Ali as we lounged in one of the thousands of lawn chairs that dotted Times Square. Jackson was wandering through the sea of chairs hoping to find one stray lounge chair being unused. He even tried to take one from a man while he was in it. He's got New York spunk in him already.


After lunch it was up to the top of the Rockefeller Center for a gorgeous view of the city. It was incredible to see Central Park, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the Statue of Liberty, and several other New York icons from 70 stories up. It is so peaceful to gaze at everything high above the sounds of city.




We had a blast and the kids were very well behaved. No major meltdowns to speak of, which almost makes me think I could brave the city on my own with the kids...

until I remember about the train station/stroller fiasco.

Nevermind, I'll wait for Greg to go again.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ Weekend Trip #2: Roses Take Manhattan ”

  • Jordan
    June 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM  

    I really like these two posts. They are very exciting!

  • Jill
    June 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

    Great pictures! So glad you had a successful trip. ANY trip with kids is ambitious.

  • The Caple Crew
    June 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

    That's hilarious that there are random lounge chairs! I never ever knew that! I want to go to New York City so bad!

  • Laura
    June 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

    Way to go you guys! Getting out and seeing the "world." Makes me miss my Virginia/East coast roots. You've already given me such good advice for traveling with children too, by the way. Thanks! :) Here's to many more successful trips for your summer!

  • nic
    June 4, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

    yes, you MUST have a light stroller if you go to NY. there are very few stations with elevators. next time you need to do stten island ferry (you get simi-close to the statue of liberty and its your favorite - FREE) Also the museum you dont have to pay the $94.57 per person to get it... just tell them yu have a $10.00 donation for all 4 of you.