Hunger Strike
Monday, May 4, 2009
Since Thursday Bennett has been on a hunger strike. I thought it was about time for him to move into the "table foods" phase of life, and he was not happy to say the least. He refused corn, peas, pasta, cheese, bread, toast, sweet potatoes, yogurt, and most everything else under the sun. Except cheerios. He loves cheerios.
So I decided maybe he wasn't ready and switched back to baby food. But apparently he wouldn't have that either. He wouldn't take one bite of his rice cereal. He turned up his nose at anything even resembling baby food, even foods he used to love (peaches, pears and peas).
So since Thursday I have been successful at feeding him only cheerios. I have continued to try to introduce other foods only to get a shut mouth and a mean look. Not only that, he will keep the offending food in his mouth without swallowing or spitting.
I can't begin to explain to you how frustrating and upsetting these past 4 days have been. I have seen a calm, happy baby turn into an irritable opinionated child overnight. And to compensate for the lack of food, he has been upping his milk intake. I am not happy when my child won't eat during the day, but gets me up twice at night.
Today we are going to the doctor for a checkup, couldn't have come at a better time.
I've never prayed so hard for someone to have an ear infection. Please let that be the reason.
May 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Last week I took Savannah in, hoping for the love of Pete she had an ear infection after a 3-hour scream fest the night before. The result? An $80 doctor's bill and a "hang in there, it's just a phase." I know it's horrible to hope for your kid to be sick, but I'm getting tired of the unexplainable irritability!
May 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Aliya had an ear infection and it turns out she LOVES amoxicillin. Just wanted to eat that and nothing else... You may want to think hard about what you wish for... :-)