blogorrhea  

Monday, May 25, 2009

The past week has brought so many changes, experiences, and incidences, it would take several posts to document them all. But I will spare you the milliseconds of scrolling downward and place them all in a single post. Please excuse the random collection of thoughts.

1. Bennett had his first hair cut this week. Cutting a head of hair with three cowlicks is no easy task so I have avoided it until this point. Then in a fit of motherly frustration, I stuck him on the porch and went to work. Just as quickly as I had chopped his 3 inch mowhawk down to a more socially acceptable 1 inch mowhawk, I regretted not taking a before picture. I even forgot to save a lock of his platinum blonde hair. [sigh] The sentimental mother me is just kicking the practical "get it done" mother me. I never thought I would say this but please let that mowhawk grow back to three inches long.

2. The cleaning lady came this week. I hopped in the shower early knowing that Wednesday was D-Day (dream day-the day that somebody else cleans my house). But, during the course of my shower Jackson interrupted by saying "Mom, there's a guy here." A guy?! I hop out of the shower and nearly injured myself by getting dry clothes on a wet body in less than 2 seconds. I run out to the living room. It was the cleaning lady (Jackson apparently struggles with gender recognition) and she was just cleaning our bathroom as the kids sat nicely on the floor watching cartoons. I didn't want to leave them alone to finish getting ready, but I couldn't exactly head out the door with the way I looked (trust me) The morning wasn't exactly as I had dreamed as I watched cartoons with the boys while a strange woman cleaned up after me. But still better than cleaning myself anyday.

3. As mentioned in past posts, Jackson has a doggie that has become more than a comfort object. Doggie gets a seat at the table, he gets to ride in cars with us, and has become the audience to Jackson's wide array of musical performances. We of course tried to exploit this relationship to our advantage.

This morning at 6:40 am Jackson wandered into our room. Uggh.
"Jackson it's not time to wake up." Greg says. Jackson is not convinced.
"It's light outside." He says.
"Jackson, come lay down next to me and be really quiet because doggie is sleeping." Greg attempts.
"Dad ... doggie is just pretend." Man, outsmarted again by a 3 year old.

4. Bennett said his first word this month. Is it a bad omen when your son's first word is uh-oh? I hope this is not a sign of things to come. On a related note Bennett has now taken to throwing things on the floor over and over just the practice saying the word. Maybe I will try to teach him the word sleep next.

5. We were excited to go to church our first Sunday in New Jersey. We got the kids packed in the car and drove 30 minutes to our new ward (welcome to the East Coast!). As we entered the church the bounce in our step morphed in an awkward shuffle. We entered the back of the church only to realize they were having church...in Spanish. Although 2 years of high school Spanish can help me find a bathroom, I don't believe it covered Mormon religious terms. Even better it was stake conference so no nursery for Jackson. He was devastated. We were too. We probably would have still sent him to Nursery if it was just a regular Spanish Ward, anything is worth a two hour break on Sunday. Maybe we will meet our ward this Sunday.

Pictures coming soon.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ blogorrhea ”

  • Crystal
    May 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

    How fun!! I can't believe you have to drive 30 min for church! Pray that you get a calling that only requires you there on Sundays and not during the week! hehehe Hey I got to see Sara and Lisa last week! It was fun! Poor Sara though---I am sure you know! :( Anywho I would love a cleaning lady! You can come to my house and practice after you get out of the habit of cleaning this summer! :)

  • Sharon
    May 26, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

    Oh no, no picture of Bennett's before haircut. Oh well, you'll have to post pictures of his after haircut. I bet he looks so grown up now. I laughed out loud about Jackson outsmarting Greg by saying his doggie is just pretend. I guess he uses doggie to his advantage too.

  • Angela and Mike
    May 26, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

    haha, of COURSE Sharon would be upset about the "no picture". haha. I bet the 3 in cowlick was pretty awesome. I had no idea doggie had become such a part of the family, how funny. Colton's latest wake up time has been 6:40 which is way better than 5:30. Still too early though...

  • hilary w
    May 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

    What adventures! I forgot to mention to you the last time I watched Bennett that he sounded like he was saying "uh-oh" when he'd drop things! What a smart little guy!

    That is MY WORST NIGHTMARE that someone will come into my house when I'm in the shower. We are expecting a repair guy this week and needless to say I will be out of the shower by 8 every morning!

  • Jill
    May 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM  

    Spanish Stake Conference. Can't get better than that. Maybe doggie understood it.