My Prize
Thursday, June 12, 2008
For those of you who saw the title of this blog and thought it would be a post about my wife Heidi, well, that's sweet. And I agree she is a prize.
However, this post is dedicated to my after-midnight adventure last night. We've been computer shopping for about 2 months since I need a laptop for school. I've vacillated between PC and Mac about 10 times, and ultimately decided on PC because I really resonate with the PC guy character on the commercials. He's cooler than people give him credit for.
So with PC's there are a bagillion options of brands, models, specs, etc. and it can be a bit overwhelming. That is, until you find the perfect computer smiling at you from the pages of a WalMart ad.
Meet my perfect computer...http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9864595. Webcam for talking to my kids while I'm at school, enough ram and memory for my purposes, HD screen, XP operating system so I don't have endless Vista headaches (and nightmares), and all this for $500!
I've been shopping long enough to recognize a steal, so when we saw this WalMart mailer last night at about 11:50 p.m., we called to see how many they had left. They had one.
So I jumped in the car, sped the 15 miles down the freeway and began to dream about all the marriage problems that would be solved once we're no longer sharing one computer (it's only been 4 days since I turned in my work laptop).
I went to electronics and asked the lady where the Dell laptops were and she said "Oooh, did you just call in? We just sold our last one literally 2 minutes ago." The last one! Argh. Back to the computer hunt, back to online browsing, back to asking Heidi "Hey, uh, you done with what you're doing there?"
But then with a stroke of inspiration hit the lady and she said "I could call the one in Salem." Salem is about 35-40 miles from my house. Do it I told her.
They had one, I drove the extra distance down south, grabbed my prize, and snuck in to bed at 2:00 a.m. Some things, like Heidi and good computer deals, are worth sacrificing for.
So if you're in the market for a laptop, get to your nearest WalMart soon. Or furthest.
June 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM
Was the $200 in gas money you spent driving around worth it? haha. Good job. I'm so happy for your purchase. We need to get a webcam!
June 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Way to go Greg on the bargain shopping. Too bad there is no webcam, though. I think you should get some money back.
June 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM
Greg... I love how you participate in the blogging world... it makes me smile!
June 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM
Wow that is awesome! I love my Dell laptop! It is great! You make me laugh though!
June 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM
So I just happened to check your blog after you posted this and we too have been wanting a labtop so guess what Kevin got for fathers day the same one! Thanks for info can't wait to see you guys at the reunion with your new little addition!
June 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM
PC?! I'm ashamed. Ashamed! Oh well, I guess we all can't be Mac lovers. :)