Happy "Cupcake" to me (Jacksons version of "Happy Birthday")
Wednesday, May 7, 2008

In college I had a marriage and family teacher who gave me some good advice.
"Never talk badly about your husbands, but feel free to brag about them as much as possible."
Although I am not one to brag, I do want to take a minute to talk about the most wonderful person on Earth.
Today is my birthday. Poor Greg always feel overwhelmed because I LOVE to be surprised. I used to love when he would bring me home an extra mint from work or a frosty from Wendy's. I just love feeling special.
That being said, Greg went above and beyond to make me feel so wonderful! He gave me a "music themed" birthday with a series of coordinating gifts. It began last week (he has a hard time keeping secrets and holding on to gifts) when on our weekly date he stuck in a CD and I heard "My New Philosophy" through the speakers (from my favorite play "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown"). It turns out the CD was the latest Young Ambassadors CD. Greg knows how much I love young ambassadors (in fact he skipped a televised BYU game last year to go to the concert in Portland with me-thats love.)
Last night he had me open another gift: tickets to the Wisconsin State Fair in August, concert included! I can't wait! And if that wasn't enough, my actual birthday was full of even more gifts. I opened an Itunes gift card, and Greg let me "unwrap" his computer that had our reserved seats to the High School Musical Broadway show! I am so so excited for this! Greg said he's been trying to recruit other couples to come along, only to get the eyebrow raise of "are you serious?" Apparently we are the only High school musical fans above the age of 14 in the greater Portland area.
On our way to dinner (the Old Spaghetti Factory overlooking the river) Greg made a wrong turn (not an uncommon occurrence but it was a really obvious wrong turn) down to a park near the river. He told me to get out of the car and look for my present. I found a note telling me he had written a song for me and I looked up to see him scrambling down the path with his guitar.
A short history behind this is that Greg has never written me a song. He has many songs in his repertoire about other girls he dated before me, but somehow lost his inspiration once we started dating.
He proceeded to sing me the most beautiful song and it would have most definitely brought me to tears had it not been for the lady walking her dog or the man jogging with headphones that ruined the mood. He has apparently been spending hours late at work and even practiced in his car at night so that it would be a surprise. I was totally blown away and told him I want this to be the new song he "plays" when people ask him to pick up the guitar.
I just absolutely love my husband. He is the best gift giver ever (although I told he did way too much for me this year, any ONE of those gifts would have made my day) I hope none of your husbands read this blog because it's just not fair. I am one lucky gal. Here's to 25 years!
May 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Greg is truly awesome! He has always been good at surprising you big! I remember the college days and all he did for you! What a sweetie! Sound like you have some fun things to go to. Happy Birthday. I should have called, sorry. I am an airhead. In fact some of the most important peeps (my old roomies),are the hardest birthdays for me to remember. I think I need to write them down again! love you!!!
May 8, 2008 at 5:35 AM
I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday! I had to laugh when you mentioned the songs Greg had written about past girls, but not one for you yet. It was the same with Allen for a while! Let's face it, high school aged boys are very emotional characters and feel the need to write songs about "girls" that they don't necessarily need to do to get "women" later in life. They've got even better tricks by then! I'm so excited you have your own song now.. very sweet! Happy Birthday Heidi!
May 8, 2008 at 9:27 AM
Wow, he is a great husband! I bet his brother would make a great husband too! :) Happy Birthday. I'm glad you had a great day...or week, since greg can't keep surprises :)
May 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM
I think I might cry... that is so cute!
May 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM
Wow! I am impressed! I am thrilled that he FINALLY wrote you a song. It is funny that he did that because we were talking about that when we visited you guys. Way to go Greg. Now he has a lot to live up to on Birthdays to come. Happy Birthday Heidi!
May 8, 2008 at 12:31 PM
Happy Birthday Heidi!!!!
May 8, 2008 at 2:50 PM
Sounds like a great day! I'm glad you loved the song. I've had fun over the past week or two hearing about Greg's preparations and gifts.
May 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM
I'm so glad Greg is good at surprises and is musically talented. Happy Birthday!
May 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM
Happy Birthday Heidi! Sounds like you had an awesome week and Greg really is a great husband to you! You need to do a post letting us know how the pregnancy is going! Have you picked a name yet?
May 9, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Yes, you are lucky. I hope you had a fun birthday! I actually have never forgotten your birthday after all these years even though I don't say it. So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
May 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Ev and I are one of those couples who lifted their eyebrows at the High School Musical invite... My bday is on Saturday and I have put a lot of pressure on him about it! Happy late Birthday! - Whitney
May 12, 2008 at 10:54 PM
Swoon! What a dreamy birthday! I wish Matt and I could come with you to the High School Musical broadway show -- you KNOW I could sing along to all the songs.
You are such a fun couple, and the future is GREAT for you guys!
Happy Birthday!