It's all in the name  

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ever since we found out we are having another boy Greg and I have been bouncing baby names off eachother. (Go figure, I've had a girl named picked out forever but no boy name) Every time I meet someone new my ears perk up when they tell me the names of their kids. I've scoured the names of the kids mentioned in "The Friend" magazine. I'm almost to the point where I will search strangers blogs to get ideas. Not quite there, but close. All to no avail. I'm starting to think this baby is going to have a blank birth certificate for awhile.

So...I petition you blog readers! I know I am breaking all kids of faux pas by asking you to reveal something many families (including my own) keep very secret, but I am desperate! Here are my name rules:

1. No weird spellings (ie. Jaxon)
2. Must be a real name that I have heard before. No made up names. It can be very unique or a last name.
3. No Book of Mormon names (although I do like Gideon but Greg already nixed that one)
4. Names must be age appropriate. Kids grow up to be adults.

I know you all can help! I am still waiting for the perfect name to fall into my lap. If you don't want to reveal your names in this post, you can email me. I believe in you!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


16 Validations of my effort: to “ It's all in the name ”

  • Barlow Fam
    April 2, 2008 at 5:21 AM  

    Ok, since we're finished, here were some of our favorite boy names...

    Austin, Brady, Brock, Todd, & Winston were a few. Good luck, we actually could never decide on one together until we came up with Cameron. It's a hard thing. : )

  • Carly
    April 2, 2008 at 7:17 AM  

    Here are the names we (well, I) started considering before we found out we were having a girl:
    Soren
    Oliver
    Jacob
    Kiefer
    Theodore
    Austin
    Oscar
    Maxwell (Max)

  • brittany
    April 2, 2008 at 8:13 AM  

    have you looked at the book "the baby name wizard" it is amazing. it is my favorite book for names. It gives you suggestions of sibling names for kids you already have, tells you the popularity ranking, etc. I am not even pregnant and still spend time scouring that book. I'll go get it and see what it suggests with Jackson.

  • Angela and Mike
    April 2, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

    You could name him after his wonderful uncle Michael. haha. I also know that Greg loves his middle name, so you could name him Bruce :)

    I try to think about it for real now! haha.

  • kiera
    April 2, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

    My nephews are named Emerson and Jonas. I love both those names but you can take those since I obviously can't. My cousin named her boy Jett which I thought was cute.

  • Unknown
    April 3, 2008 at 7:25 AM  

    I believe that "Igor" meets all of your stated requirements (though it probably doesn't meet countless others).

    Also, I've been banned from ever using Espn for the name of anyone or anything (even for a pet), so feel free...

    Rychen

  • Matt
    April 3, 2008 at 7:41 AM  

    Ramon (Ra-Mone)
    Deron (like the basketball player)
    Dhauntay (Like a kid a knew in high school)
    Fred
    James (or any J name because then you can call him "J" for short which will be good if he ever becomes a basketball player, or a "K" name in case he becomes a baseball pitcher)

  • The Caple Crew
    April 3, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

    Boy names are easy for us, girl names are hard!
    Here are my nephew's names, maybe it will help: Tyler, Hunter, Carter, Luke, and Mark.
    We love the boys names we picked out but some people think they are too modern:
    Gavin, Davis, Austin(we have this name picked out for our first boy), Brig, Beau, Dane, Dylan.
    Good Luck!

    PS- Sheldon is ALWAYS a GREAT name! ha ha!

  • The Bigler's
    April 3, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

    My nephews names are Stryder, Bryce, Brolin, and of course my little one Tayte. I agree with you boys names are a little different...let us know what you come up with :)
    Ally

  • Ashley and Ben
    April 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

    Heidi,
    My nephews are Jackson and Maddox. Funny I keep checking back to make sure no body recommends the name we want to use to you :).

  • Sharon
    April 3, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

    Cooper, Dunham, Everett, Bryson, Chandler, Preston. Of course, Gordon suggested Bruce but I saw that Angela already suggested it!

  • Jill
    April 3, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

    How about Ward?
    Middle name: Conference

  • Sharon
    April 4, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

    Tucker, Wyatt, Anderson, Isaac.

    We do have some fabulous grandparent names: Arnold Rudolph, Guy Burnabee and Cleon. Rudolph Rose sort of has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

  • brittany
    April 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

    so I looked up the sibling names for Jackson and here they are

    carter
    mason
    connor
    bennett
    preston

  • Crystal
    April 5, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

    Mark says that he likes Korban Dallas..hmmmm I think someone is a little obsessed with the fifth element. hehe

  • Adam Barlow
    April 17, 2008 at 7:52 AM  

    I've been wanting to use the name Broderick (Brody), but it doesn't fit into our scheme...