How long can you go?  

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Every two weeks I have a competition with myself: how long can we go before having to go to the grocery store for a big shopping trip. I plan our meals in advance so I try not to go more often than every two weeks (except to replenish the essential, milk, bread, and sometimes bananas). I love when I can extend it to 17 days or when I'm feeling really ambitious, even 3 weeks.

What is your limit? When do you break down?

Greg breaks down when there are no more snacks (he is so weak). He loves his saltines and peanut butter. I often find myself baking something for Greg to snack on so we can go a few more days.

Jackson breaks down when he has no more cheese.

I can go a long time. Whether it's applesauce and cottage cheese, hot chocolate and toast, or breakfast for dinner, I seem to keep finding unlimited combinations of the food we have left.

Here's what's in our cupboard right now:
4 cans of mushrooms
Cream of chicken soup
Rice
Ramen
Hot chocolate
Diced tomatoes

Anyone have any ideas for dinner?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ How long can you go? ”

  • Barlow Fam
    April 19, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

    You're my kind of girl. I go grocery shopping once a MONTH. I still have to go back for the essentials like you, but not too often, besides when I go in for Milk that means I'm at SAMS and get pizza for lunch. : )

    Dinner, Mix the Cream of mushroom soup with some of the mushrooms, pour over rice and top with tomatoes. Too bad you don't have canned chicken, that would add nicely to it. : )

  • Matt
    April 21, 2008 at 7:18 AM  

    I've got an idea... Taco Bell

  • Angela and Mike
    April 21, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

    haha, I'm the same way with not going shopping more than every 2 weeks...but I HAVE to go shopping once I run out of milk, cereal, yogurt, or granola bars. All are a must!

  • Lisa Wahlin
    April 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

    You ask what our limit is, as soon as I get home from the grocery store I am usually starving and sometimes (not all the time) I can't find a single thing to eat! I think that is just because I am lazy and don't want to make a whole meal for just me and a toddler (Brad is usually at work). I can usually go about 2 weeks without shopping, but we don't have much cupboard space for food so most of the time it is less than 2 weeks. Have any meal ideas for the lazy people? (or maybe I just don't like to cook)

  • Ashley and Ben
    April 22, 2008 at 3:38 PM  

    Ha, looks like I am the odd ball out. I grocery shop once a week. I don't know how you last that long with your fresh fruits and veges. I have to agree with the lazy people post about having quite a bit to use but sometimes just not putting together ideas and my fall back is cereal which idea is so much more appealing than thinking:).