Ode to the Blackberry  

Friday, August 24, 2007



Okay, not technically an ode, but here's my Blackberry Haiku:

Oh Blackberry sweet
What a perfect summer treat
And best is you're free!

August is perhaps my favorite time of year in Oregon because...you guessed it: Blackberry Season! I was amazed when we moved here and found that wild blackberries grow everywhere! Not only that, they are considered weeds. I have tried to set aside some time to pick our little manna from heaven and have come out successful. The only drawback is the gargantuan spiders that seem to be everywhere, and of course the thorns. I guess the adage I learned from taking econ 110 twice applies here...there is no such thing as a free lunch...or smoothie.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 Validations of my effort: to “ Ode to the Blackberry ”

  • brittany
    August 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM  

    i love blackberries too! they are my most favorite and they have cut down most of the bushes around my moms house which is very sad.

  • Crystal
    August 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM  

    ah yes, I remember that...there is no such thing as a free lunch. How true is that!

  • Sharon
    August 25, 2007 at 1:56 PM  

    Hopefully you won't give Jackson a blackberry smoothie in the car. Sometimes that can have disastrous results!!

  • AJ
    August 28, 2007 at 1:10 AM  

    Manna! So perfect! I got so wild over free blackberries last year. I would say, "We're going to God's buffet for lunch. No utensils required!" and yes you are absolutely right about those bugs...I figure if I don't look too closely, it will be good for me. But if I actually see one, then there's no way in heck I would eat it!