Cleanliness is next to Godliness  

Saturday, February 27, 2010

One time, several years ago someone from our church was going to come over to our house to "talk" to us. I thought we were absolutely going to be called to sing in the choir. I cried all morning at the thought. In fact thoughts of despair and embarrassment flooded my mind, because although I LOVE music, singing is so much HARDER for me than other people. Singing in front of others makes me breathe fast, clam up and my face turns a deep red. My knees literally won't stop moving. I can't pick out harmony and for an alto, it makes singing such a touchy subject for me. Now we did not in fact get called to sing in the ward choir.

But for me, cleaning is kind of like that. It feels like cleaning is just harder for me than most people. It takes all the willpower in the world to do anything more than a load of laundry or start the dishwasher. My idea of a pretty good cleaning day is spending 10 minutes picking up the front room and throwing the pile of papers that accumulate on the kitchen counter into the bedroom. One time Jackson asked me to put socks on him so he didn't have to step on all the crumbs that were on the kitchen floor. I love having a clean house. I would just rather someone else do it.

I have tried several cleaning programs. Once I put every cleaning task on cards and did a little each day to break it up a bit. I don't even know where those cards are anymore. I tried spending 15 minutes of naptime cleaning instead of checking email, or napping myself. I don't think that one even lasted a week.

I just hate cleaning. This week I have spent hours upon ours cleaning our house to be ready for a realtor to show it (our landlord is selling). Organizing spaces, throwing out trash, consolidating toys, and making my bed each morning. It has been wonderful to have a pretty clean house all week.

But despite the perfectly clean house, I have been in a foul mood. I have more than once been brought to tears over the thought of doing this for weeks or months. Last week I actually googled "cleaning aversion" to see if there was a medical condition I could attribute it to. Nothing came up.

So I have been perusing the "flylady.com" website to help me overcome this horrible spot on my "mommy resume." I can cook up a great balanced meal for my family. I can whip up costumes for my kids without blinking an eye. I can find great deals on just about anything. I can use power tools.

But I can't, for the life of me, will myself to clean a toilet.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


10 Validations of my effort: to “ Cleanliness is next to Godliness ”

  • Chanell
    February 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

    I know what you mean. I will get myself worked up about the dishes and stress about it all day- I finally get around to doing them and it seriously takes like 5 minutes- I then realize I spent way more energy dreading it than actually doing it. We could start our own cleaning-haters club. I'll bring the snacks. :)

  • Sharon
    February 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

    Years ago someone told me if the only thing that someone could write about her in her obituary or put on her tombstone was that she had a clean house, what a sad life that would be. Try to focus on all the wonderful, amazing, creative things you do and don't stress about the cleaning. Just start counting the days until you can afford a maid and let her clean your toilets!!

  • stacy
    February 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

    Amen. I have that same problem. Most of it centers around the fact that I have so many other things that I feel are a better use of my time. I have clasrooms to volunteer in, board meetings to go to, traffic cop duty, daisies, museums, baking, etc. When you're trying to make magic for the kids you often double the mess an ordinary person would have. I had a friend once with a sign that said, "If you're coming to see me come any time. If you're coming to see the house call first." We pick up and clean counters at the end of the day. During it we're having fun. Don't ever feel bad about that!

    PS We should start a support group. If we worked as a team cleaning we could get the job done twice as fast and have so much more fun!

  • Shannon
    February 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

    I think I could have written your post. I hate it and dread it and procrastinate it. I would much rather be doing something crafty or couponing or napping. I do have to say I have gotten much better the more I force myself, but it is not something that comes naturally to me. I wish it were. I am so much happier when the house is clean. Would it help to have a friend come over to help you? I can come over and clean with you while the kids play! That would be fun!

    Stressing about it isn't helping anyone. I would say, if the house isn't perfect, what's the worst that could happen? Your landlord won't kick you out will he? People will know it is a rental and will look past the mess.

  • sam and brittney
    February 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

    I loved the post!! It made me laugh out loud!

  • Hksedwick
    February 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

    TOTALLY AGREE!!! I told Rich he would just have to enjoy living in squalor at least through the weekend because I just can't face until Monday (I am sure I'll be motivated after a long day of work)

  • Michelle
    March 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

    I'm right there with you. Why is it so hard? (and if you live in a place like me, it seems everyone else has an immaculately clean house.) One day we'll get the hang of it, maybe.

  • Kandis
    March 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

    I, too, would agree...cleaning would overwhelm me, I'd clean the entire house and then dread that it needed to be done so soon again. But I've kind of become a cleaning freak and I function so much better in a clean house. I used to take a room a day, laundry another day, etc., breaking up my week. But for me, the house never felt 'clean' entirely. So once we moved into our new house (double the size and three times the bathrooms - yes I was dreading this big time) but with this house I've changed to cleaning the ENTIRE house on Monday morning and it has been huge for me. The week starts out awesome with a clean house and it all gets done in one morning. I keep antibacterial wipes on hand and will wipe down the toilets, countertops, etc. towards the end of the week if I need it sparkling clean when someone comes by. It's really helped me stay on top of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cleaning master but thought I'd share what's worked for myself.

    I also remember the days of having to keep our house always looking super clean when we were trying to sell it, not fun! But that's when those wipes came in super handy, my house could be clean in a matter of minutes! Good luck with it all!!!!!! (any tips on laundry, that would be my least favorite thing! You get a load done and the clothes are alrighty piling up again, uugghhh!)

  • Lori
    March 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

    Let's trade. I find cleaning kind of theraputic (weird I know). Plus, once I'm in the cleaning mood I don't stop until every crevice has been cleaned (even by a toothbrush if necessary). It drives my husband crazy. However, crafty I am not - couldn't come up with a costume or make something if you gave me a year. In fact a had a minor break down two weeks ago over making tassels for YW bookmarks - I quit and ended up buying some. So I'll clean your house if you do my crafts - too bad you live 1/2 a country away...

  • Unknown
    March 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

    My parents must have felt the same way in my busy days of high school, which is why they had merry maids clean once a week. :) Take a cue from them and hire a maid once a month or maybe just occasionally whenever you need a break!