Vacuum
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

(*this is the vacuum Greg promised me when we have a house. I'm logging this for all the world to see so that even when he finds out it costs $500, he can't back out.)
The vacuum is the center of Bennett's world. It's the first thing he asks about when he wakes up and the last thing he points at before going to bed. We recently bought a new vacuum, but still haven't disposed of our old one. So Bennett runs from one vacuum to the other:
"What's that?" (old vacuum)
"It's a vacuum." Runs over to the new vacuum.
"What's that?" (new vacuum)
"It's a vacuum.
What's that? It's a vacuum
What's that? It's a vacuum
What's that? It's a vacuum
What's that? It's a vacuum.
Whats that, what's that, what's that, what's that, what's that????
IT'S A VACUUM!
Sometimes the questions wear on me.
But it only gets worse. Now Bennett asks about the pictures of vacuums on the vacuum box. He asks about the shadow the vacuum casts on the wall. He asks about the dust buster.
The funny thing is, when I turn the vacuum on, he's terrified. It's as if he is trying to keep tabs on the enemy at all times, so he knows where he is in relation to the vacuums.
I keep thinking the novelty will wear off, but until then, I will answer his questions about a thousand times a day.
Either that or both vacuums are going to end up in the trash. Just for sanity's sake.
February 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM
Claire got a toy vacuum for Christmas and now as long as she has the toy vacuum when we are vacuuming, she is okay. If she does not have the toy vacuum, she is scared. Maybe Bennett would like a toy vacuum? Or maybe that would be too many vacuum questions to have to deal with. :)
That is a cute story, though. It is so funny the things that our kids latch on to.
February 18, 2010 at 6:02 AM
Kids focus on the darnedest things. Farm equipment, garbage trucks, vacuums. I had a friend whose toddler had to bring a spatula with him to church each week.
My grandson Aaron is obsessed with kitchen appliances. He has his own names for things. The blender is the "So Loud," the toaster is the "Cinnamon Toast," and the oven is the "Dinner Time." I think he'll grow up to be chef. Maybe Bennett will operate a maid service.
February 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM
That is so funny. Greg used to be fixated on the lawn mower. He called it a "mo mo". So for his first birthday we bought him a lawn mower that looked just like ours and he loved it. But he was like Bennett, when the lawn mower went on, he freaked out. We had a station wagon at the time. Whenever we mowed, we parked the station wagon in the driveway, opened all the windows and Greg played in there. That was the only way he wasn't afraid.
February 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM
Heidi! I LOVE your blog! You are such an amazing writer!!
I laughed out loud when I read this post! Ha ha!! So cute and sooo true :)
You are ADORABLE!