My Not-So-Valentiny Post.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Yesterday was a nice morning. Greg was home for the day (although he had schoolwork to do). So Greg did what he does best. Wrestle with the boys. Climbing, jumping, riding ensued. So much so that I said "Greg, I really can't watch all this rough housing. It makes me so anxious and nervous that someone is going to get hurt."
And what poetic irony that not 30 seconds later, someone did.
One minute the boys are riding Dad the Lion around the living room, and the next I am letting out a blood curdling scream as I watch Bennett smack his head on the corner of our tiled fireplace. I grabbed him and cradled him in my lap.
And then there was blood. So much blood. "Paper Towels!" I scream. "Or any towels-not the white ones (Still practical at my most maniacal moments)"
The bleeding didn't stop. What do we do? Wait for it to stop? How long do we wait? I had blood on my hands, my shirt and my jeans. We have to go the the ER. I don't know how long it will bleed, but lets find that out at the hospital
Jackson get your shoes and coat on. "Am I getting a shot?" he asks fearfully. "No, no, Just get ready and get buckled!" We manage to get all of us in the car within minutes. Bennett is still bleeding. Greg still has bedhair.
Greg speeds to the hospital. Bennett is in my lap and I have a dish rag still pressed against his head.
But minutes into our drive, the crying stops. The bleeding stops. But I still can't see the wound. So I direct Greg the other way, toward Urgent Care.
We walk into urgent care. In fact Bennett wanted to walk himself. It was a funny image to see a child walking himself into the doctor with a matted bloody mess in the back of his head.
The doctor took a look and gave us the okay to go home. The wound turned out to be so minuscule that they couldn't stitch it up any smaller than it already was. "Just wash it and make sure he doesn't touch it."
So Bennett was happy to get that dishrag off his head.
Jackson was happy to be leaving the Doctors without a shot.
I was happy that Bennett was smiling and that I could strap him in a carseat instead of avoiding the stares of passerby's like I did on the way in.
Greg was happy he wasn't the cause of a more serious injury.
We are all happy today. Although Bennett has a bit of a headache. And my clothes came out clean in the wash, and no white towels were harmed in the process.
Just no rough housing for awhile okay?
February 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Enough excitement for one weekend, huh!?
February 14, 2010 at 8:33 PM
Aww- poor little guy (and mom!). Glad it turned out better than expected. :)
February 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM
how many times did bennett point at the doctor and say "whas dat?"
February 14, 2010 at 10:51 PM
oh hides!!! How scar I bet that was for you!!! I would have been freaking out...and probably would have yelled at Mark a bit too for the rough housing. Glad everything turned out okay!! :) hanks for the email too. I will get back to you about that asap. We are in the process of moving so things are a bit crazy right now
February 15, 2010 at 10:13 AM
I was reading your blog and thinking how horrible and stressful. I can picture the whole thing in my head. Then I read the comments before putting mine and I read Jordan's comment. LOL. I can picture that in my head as well. Hope there's no lasting effect for anyone, including Greg!
February 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM
I'm so glad Bennett is okay! A similar head wound happened to Jack at about the same age. It bled so much! I was definitely freaked out, but upon further examination, there was hardly a scratch on his head. It's amazing how badly head wounds bleed!
That's so funny that all Jackson cared about was whether or not he'd get a shot. Sounds like another little boy in our family... :)
February 18, 2010 at 5:58 AM
So scary! Glad it turned out OK, but it probably left you a little spent, yes?