Babies and Big Boys  

Wednesday, June 10, 2009


Before Bennett was born and after we had decided on his name I would think about 'Baby Bennett' all day long. I would prep Jackson for the arrival of his new brother by having him say 'Baby Bennett' over and over. I knew the name would not stick around forever, but the alliteration in the nickname for my second born was too cute to pass up.

So since his birth, Baby Bennett has been a wonderful addition. But recently I have started to feel a little silly still calling him Baby. A baby that used to be largely immobile and mute, has now become, in a matter of weeks, a completely mobile child with tons of personality and curiosity. He's found his voice and has started to hold his own by batting away his sometimes overbearing brother. He crawls to a sitting position and pulls up to furniture with ease.

I have tried to drop the baby on several occasions, but Jackson always reminds me 'no, it's baby Bennett mom.' Old habits die hard.

So for now he's still my 'Baby Bennett', despite his great strides toward childhood. At 11 months, I feel entitled to one more month of enjoying my baby, then maybe we will start calling him Big Boy Bennett. It has a sort of ring to it...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ Babies and Big Boys ”

  • Sharon
    June 10, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

    From his pictures, he is definitely starting to look like "big boy Bennett". He looks more grown up than when I saw him just a few weeks ago. Can't believe the change.

  • Angela and Mike
    June 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

    He is such a big boy...but, he is still a baby. I consider kids babies until they are 8. haha. I love his little blondie hair. It just keeps getting lighter and lighter. I wonder if Colton's will get redder and redder (is that a word?)

  • Our Family
    June 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

    I think he gets to be baby Bennett until you have another baby. I still refer to Griffin as my baby and he's almost three.

  • Laura
    June 11, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

    I love the "baby" prefix in front of his name! And maybe you don't want to hear this, but in my husband's extended family, that baby prefix has stuck around for some people for 17, 18+ years. For example, he has a cousin who just graduated high school and people in the family still call her "baby Rachel." I think it's nice no matter how old they are. :) That's awesome he's becoming such a big boy though.

  • Jill
    June 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

    Still definitely a baby (and a cute one at that), even with his impressive collection of skills!