Worries  

Thursday, April 2, 2009

What if I can't fall asleep tonight? What if I don't get it together before Easter and nobody gets Easter Baskets? What if I could be saving more money on groceries? What if the Preschool I want for Jackson is full? What if it's too expensive? What if I should be teaching him myself? What if his bad behavior isn't a stage? What if my bad parenting has already caused irreversible consequences? What if Bennett isn't getting enough sleep? What if the lanlord notices all the knicks in the wall and burned out light bulbs when he visits tomorrow? What if the plumber charges me too much to fix the toilet? What if I'm not cooking food that healthy enough? What if I don't finish my book club book? What if I'm not reading to Jackson enough? What if I hate New Jersey? What if my kids never learn to like seafood because I never cook it? What if Canon can't fix my camera? What if Jackson keeps me from listening to any of General Conference? What if Jackson never learns to poop in the potty? What if Jackson and Bennett never figure out how to sleep in the same room? What if I never figure out how to clean my house effectively? What if I was all wrong about politics and I should have been a Republican all along? What if I'm wrong about a lot of things? What if I don't take enough pictures of Bennett? What if I'm not going to be ready for my 8k run? What if we can't fit everything in our cars when we move to New Jersey? What if our car breaks down? What if I could be doing more? What if I should be making my kids hot breakfast every morning? What if I am getting Jackson involved in too much? What if he's not involved enough? What if I'm not doing my best? What if, What if, What if....

Just a few things that have been on my mind.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


7 Validations of my effort: to “ Worries ”

  • Angela and Mike
    April 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

    "What if my kids never learn to like seafood because I never cook it?"

    Who cares about seafood.

    Oh and, I prefer cold cereal to a hot breakfast. Seriously :)

    Man, no wonder why you aren't a good sleeper! just kidding, now that I've started my mom journey, I understand all the worrying :)You are a wonderful mother. Seriously. I am always taking mental notes of the things you do so that I can do them with Colton.

  • McGiven Family....
    April 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

    You sound like me. This is why I lay in bed most nights trying to fall asleep with alls sorts of thoughts running through my mind. Glad I am not the only one!

  • Zach and Sarah
    April 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

    I hear you clucking, big chicken. We all do it. The "what ifs" are just different.

  • Amber
    April 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

    Me too. I remember listening to the Michael McLean song, "Which Part is Mine" before I was a mom. I didn't understand what the chorus was talking about-- "Which part is mine, and which part is yours? Could you tell me one more time, I'm never quite sure. And I won't cross the line, like I have before-- if you'll just define which part is mine, and which part is yours."

    Now I get it. Incidentally, this is from an email I sent out this week:

    ". . . When things get a little out of the ordinary and emotional, it is tough for me-- like helping my children prepare for the talent show and hoping that they feel confident and that they are well-received by their peers, and that they aren't too disappointed if they don't make it. And looking ahead to Harrison's birthday and hoping we can make his eyes light up and help him feel like the wonderful asset he is to our family without spending a fortune (or going crazy), and through all of this trying to console myself that it's okay that the older three are getting so much attention, and that there will be more time next week (if we don't have a baby by then) to play the matching game, work on reading, and go to story time with the younger ones.

    We just have to learn when to let things go, and how to discern what is really important and worth our time (including our worry time!) Hang in there-- and get some sleep!

  • Natalie Loris
    April 6, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

    Oh good- I'm not the only one that's crazy :)

  • stacy
    April 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

    Wow. Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one who's brain works like that. What if... it all eventually works itself out?

    Our school is www.middletonpreschool.org

  • Jill
    April 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

    What if....Greg decides he likes his red toenails, and you have to double your current nail polish budget?