Success
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Parenting is no easy task. Nothing shakes my confidence as a mother like my inability to get my 3 year old to wear a coat or leave the McDonald's playplace without a fight. But there are those times when I can see a glimmer of hope. There are those times when I feel like all the work I have been putting into raising good natured, smart, well adjusted children seems to be...working.
Exhibit A: Anytime Foods.
I can easily say 98 % of Jackson's tantrums in some way relate to food. He wants more cookies, he wants 8 glasses of milk, he doesn't want to sit for meals, he wants, he wants, he wants. So after hearing an idea for "anytime foods" from a couple of people, I knew I had to try it. I got a big bucket and filled it with bananas, oranges, grapes, carrots, pears and apples. I labeled it "anytime foods." I told Jackson he could have these foods anytime he wanted, and did not have to ask permission. Anything else (cheese, bagels, yogurt, juice, etc) he had to ask me. It's been working great so far. Now when he asks for a cookie, I can say "no but you can pick something out of your bucket" and it seems to work. He likes the independence and I like him to eat better foods without a huge tantrum.
Exhibit B: Bedtime Routine.
Jackson thrives on routines and bedtime is the most critical. Book, Song, Prayer Bed. That's it. If we do anything out of the ordinary he is a mess. Once we put him down for the night, he would often call us to come back in 5, 6, or 7 times and stay awake for over an hour in his room. I was finally ready to take back control of bedtime. I came up with the idea to start enforcing the rule a little further than stern words and empty threats. I gave him 5 or 6 books to read to himself before bed. I told him each time I had to come back in would result in one lost book. He went to sleep with no whining and didn't call out once! One point on the board for mom.
Exhibit C: Poop Party
Jackson has been doing very well with his potty training. He often goes on his own without me asking and can do most of the tasks on his own. He rarely has accidents. Except for poop. He refuses to poop in the potty. He would hide in a corner, wait until he had a diaper on, or hold it for days. I was at my wits end. Until we went to the doctor. At Jackson's 3 year check up I voiced my concern to the doctor. She looked straight and Jackson and said "didn't your mom tell you about the poop party? When you poop in the potty you can flush your poop and send it to the poop party under your house. Doesn't that sound like fun? Maybe your mom can tell you more about the poop party. Will you do that for me Jackson?" He was mesmerized. Since then, he has been amazing. His face glows when he goes successfully. He even waves and says "bye bye poop, have fun at the party!" Now I know this all seems very gross, but it's much more gross to clean messy pants so I am one happy mother! Who knew that it was something so small that just clicked with him. Have I mentioned how much I love my doctor?
There you have it folks. I fail in many ways as a mother, but I want to record the successes to keep me on the edge of sanity. If anyone has any ideas on how to teach Jackson about personal space, I am open to suggestions.
April 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM
GREAT ideas Heidi. I love the
"anytime foods". That poop party sure does sound like fun. haha. Man, it sure is hard to outsmart a 3-year-old. My month old may not talk back, but I'm pretty sure he only would let me put him down for at MOST 3 minutes at a time today. He kinda likes to be held...makes it impossible to do anything.
April 7, 2009 at 10:35 PM
This is awesome Heidi! Thanks for the ideas ahead of time. Hopefully I can remember your example in a couple of years when I have these issues to look forward to. You truly are incredible. Good luck with the personal space issue.
April 8, 2009 at 6:10 AM
What a patient, innovative mom you are! It's always good to try to avoid the dreaded "contest of wills," and it sounds like you came up with great healthy ways to do just that.
April 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM
anytime foods...genius! Poop party, hilarious! I love picturing mini-greg waving to his business and telling it to enjoy the party. I laughed a good long laugh to that one.
Richard
April 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM
It is amazing that such seemingly small ideas make such huge results. I love all the ideas and am so impressed that they are working. And by the way, you don't give yourself enough credit in the mothering department. I've seen lots of mothers over the years, and you seriously are one of the best I've ever seen. You aer kind, patient, creative, consistent - all the things that you need to be. I'm thankful every day that you are my grandchildren's mom. They couldn't have it any better.
April 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM
You mean there really isn't a poop party when you flush?
April 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM
What fun ideas, Heidi! I love the thought of anytime foods. I'm going to have to try that one. Jackson and Bennett are two lucky boys!
April 15, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Those are great ideas, Heidi!!!! Thanks for sharing! I've been thinking a lot about ideas similar to your "anytime foods" bucket and trying to keep my family healthy. I enjoyed reading this!