On Old Broadway
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Music appreciation is in my blood. Unfortunately that talent for music is not. Sometimes I want to belt those high notes so badly I could cry. So I belt them. Greg cries.
In my heart of hearts, I wish I could perform. My acting/singing career began and ended with a large scale production of Saturday's Warrior at age 11. I think at age 11 people start to figure out that "kid singing" isn't that cute anymore. So I refocused my energy into an unhealthy love for musicals. I adore "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown." Greg has seen "Guys and Dolls" more times with me than I'm sure he likes to admit. I know the music to lots of musicals that I have never seen. Last year I rented several musicals from the library in order to provide more "culture" to our family. I watched Unsinkable Molly Brown, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Singing in the Rain, Showboat, Annie Get Your Gun, Into the Woods, and Funny Girl. I have a dozen more in mind.
I had a roommate in College who had a gorgeous performing voice. I looked forward to her morning shower each day so that I could be serenaded by "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair..." It was like my own personal performance.
After my Freshman year at BYU I found out my parents had acquired tickets to see LIon King as a family...the day before I returned home for the summer.
Before I married Greg I had a 3 date rule. I allowed someone 3 dates before deciding whether or not it was worth pursuing. There was one person in particular who had asked me out on 2 dates and I wasn't particularly impressed. But for the 3rd date, he asked me to go see Les Miserables with him. I wanted to go. I agonized. I knew this guy would not be getting date number 4 and that ticket's were expensive. I called my parents.
I turned him down. And sobbed.
Many shows have come to Salt Lake or Portland...and went. We have either had children that were too young, or budgets that were too tight, or schedules that just wouldn't line up. So I have filled my life with community and high school productions. Some good, and some so very bad.
I have read about friend after friend after friend who has seen Wicked. It's gotten to the point that Greg will warn me in advance. "You probably don't want to read this person's blog today, they just saw Wicked." At least when he warns me I don't cry myself to sleep at night.
The very sad secret of my life is that despite my love for musicals, I have never seen a Broadway Show.
This Summer I will be living 40 minutes from Broadway. Actual Broadway.
Please, oh Please New York, have just one show for me.
**Greg wanted me to note that he has taken me to a Broadway show in Portland: "High School Musical: On Stage" While this is technically considered a Broadway show, and I did enjoy it, it does not, in my mind, qualify as a Broadway caliber performance.
April 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Isn't Wicked in Chicago or Milwaukee? I would love to see it again if you want to go. Oh, and musicals should be encouraged with the young ones for sure! I choreographed Bye Bye Birdie when RJ was 3.5ish, grace was 2 and Alex was five months old. You haven't seen cute until you've seen RJ as Albert or Conrad Birdie and Grace as Kim or Rose. They had the show memorized complete with choreography!
April 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM
it's interesting that musicals often have a lot of "drama", and they have caused a lot of drama in your life... does that make sense?
April 13, 2009 at 4:33 AM
Heidi! I hardly ever pay more than $30 for a ticket to see a Broadway show. I do the student rush, standing room, half price, or lottery tickets and have seen lots of Broadway shows since I've been here. Come visit and I'll take you to one. We can even try to win the Wicked lottery. You can see Wicked on the front few rows for only $26.50 (assuming we win). :) Also, I believe my repertoire included more than just "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair" ha ha! I'm excited for you to live so close.
April 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM
Broadwaybox.com
When I took my Mom to NY at the end of Jan., I used this site and got 2 awesome seats to see Phantom for less than the price of 1. Its totally worth it to get there once!
April 13, 2009 at 9:43 AM
we'll have to hit up a show together... i'm a sucker for choreographed dances and love created through song! and i LOVE that you love guys and dolls- it's one of the very best.
April 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM
I saw Wicked while I was in NY my senior year and LOVED it! I hope that you can go and see it! But watch out... Those tickets are EXPENSIVE!!!!
April 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM
I hope all your dreams come true this summer! Whatever show you choose to see WILL be the caliber you're looking for. I too love musicals and have asked for one on video every Christmas to build up my collection.
April 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM
I share your love of musicals. Dave is embarrassed to take me because I cry everytime! I started crying in the opening scene of Lion King when they sang "Circle of Life" and I was crying so hard at the intermission of Les Miserables that I thought Dave would leave me there. I knew Dave loved me when he took me to New York and sat through five broadway shows and we only saw the Yankees play once. I hope you see something fabulous, just take lots of tissues.
April 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM
You are right...WICKED is the best and you must see it at some point. Let me know when you maybe wanted to stay at my parents house! Would you believe I am a very musical person, I lived hours from NYC my whole life...and I have NEVER been or seen a show on Broadway?
A Broadway show is on my list of things to do in this life!