Love is the Stickiest Adhesive
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
A few weeks ago I noticed Greg was becoming more interested in his guitar. He's always loved playing, but since he went back to school it's gathering dust in the closet, only to be played a few minutes each month.
So, obviously, the sudden increase in playing time piqued my interest. As soon as the kids went down for bed he would sneak downstairs for some uninterrupted playing time. I would often get "shhushed" as Greg would indicate he was recording some songs on his computer. His guitar all of a sudden needed a strap and some new strings. What was the meaning behind this?
A phone call soon after tipped me off.
"I'm thinking of entering the MBA arts showcase. It's like a business school talent show.." The words seemed to echo in slow motion...talent show...Talent Show...TALENT SHOW.
I spent the next three weeks listening to conversations about what song to choose, how did this sound? Should I change this lyric? Should I add this song to my Myspace page? What if I added in this joke? Do we have a babysitter? Are you going to videotape it? He spent as many nights as he could practicing with a friend Kyle Nel, and when he wasn't available, he was recording the updated version to email to him. Not to mention the hours and hours I listened to the same song over and over again with minor variations.
Performing is serious business.
So the day he performed I was torn between the excitement to see my husband perform and the sheer relief that it was over.
I present to you "Sellotape" a Flight of the Conchords cover song. And please, for my sake, don't plan any large talent shows until I've fully recovered.
April 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM
I'm thinking a Hill Family Reunion is order and Greg can be in charge of the talent show..
April 22, 2009 at 11:22 PM
I'm so glad this could revive Greg's guitar/singing career. It was fabulous. I love the entrance with the hat, byu, slang and all. I'm so glad I made it to the end to hear Jackson singing about the sticky sticky paper. Too funny.
Way to go greg!
April 23, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Wow... I'm speechless!