The downside of Dairyland
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Our move to Wisconsin has been good to us in so many ways…our waistline is not one of them
After 4 weeks of a steady diet of brats, fried cheese curds, burgers, and pizza, we are now ready to get back to a healthy eating regimen. So I am on the hunt for some great recipes that will help me in my endeavor. I call on you blog readers (family, friends, casual acquaintances, blog stalkers, etc) to volunteer your expertise. I am posting my 3 favorite healthy(ish) recipes. Please comment with your favorite healthy recipes. My waist and heart thank you. Here are my criteria:
1. Easy: I’d like to stay away from anything that is very labor intensive. Jackson’s insane amount of energy does not lend itself to elaborate meals.
2. Cheap: Any recipe that has more than 15 ingredients or calls for weird things that I have to buy special (capers, saffron, kale, etc.) is a no go. My apetite is big, but our student budget is small.
3. Tasty: I have tried several healthy pastas that rivaled my front lawn in taste. I’d like to enjoy my dinner experience.
So there you go!
Here are my recipes:
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch dried oregano
18 ounces dry penne pasta (I use whole wheat)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (I use dried if I don’t have fresh)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and add chicken; cook until slightly brown. Add onion and garlic to cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.
2. Add tomatoes, broccoli, salt, pepper and oregano; stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain and add back into pot. Pour chicken sauce into pot and mix well.
4. Add basil and toss well; top with Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Title: Smokey Corn and Black Bean Pizza
This is great whether you grill it or just in the oven (350 for 30
minutes) We added chicken and we thought it was so tasty.
Ingredients:
1 Plum tomato, diced
1 cup Canned black beans, rinsed
1 cup Fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
2 tablespoons Cornmeal
1 pound Prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (we use rhoads wheat bread)
1/3 cup Barbecue sauce
1 cup Shredded mozzarella, preferably smoked mozzarella
Directions:
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Combine tomato, beans and corn in a medium bowl.
Sprinkle cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Stretch the
dough into about a 12-inch circle and lay it on top of the
cornmeal, coating the entire underside of the dough.
3. Transfer the crust from the baking sheet to the grill. Close
the lid and cook until the crust is puffed and lightly browned on
the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Using a large spatula, flip the crust. Spread barbecue
sauce on it and quickly sprinkle with the tomato mixture and
cheese. Close the lid; grill until the cheese is melted and the
bottom of the crust is browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Salsa Chicken Tacos
Ingredients
4 Chicken Breasts
Salsa
Tortillas
Directions
Place chicken in crock pot and cover with salsa. Cook on high for 3 hours. Shred chicken in crock pot and cook an additional hour. Serve with tortillas and top with sour cream, cheese, lettuce cilantro, or other favorite taco toppings.
September 2, 2008 at 7:45 PM
Well I have 15 lbs to lose, so take my advice with a grain of salt!!! Rychen makes some yum yum yummy food for us. We like doing homemade pizzas (oh yeah we did that with you!) and he has made up a taco pizza. Really easy: dough, tomato paste, refried beans, tomatos, pineapple, bell peppers, onions, or whatever you want to put on it.
Do you like Asian food? One dish I've loved lately is stirfry with minced ginger and soy sauce. Just use frozen stir fry, and you can add tofu if you're into that, or you can add some pasta noodles. Then I add the ginger and soy sauce, and maybe stir in some sprouts. This just screams healthy!!
Taco salad is really easy too! No recipe required.
September 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM
I, too, find myself reading your blog at hours when I should be sleeping. Yours is consistently my favorite to read, and probably the only one that makes me laugh aloud every time! Hmm... I guess I have to come up with a recipe now. How about taco soup? 3 cans of beans (take your pick), a can of diced tomatoes, a can of creamed corn, a handful of frozen corn, 2 cans of water, cooked and cubed chicken, cumin to taste (or taco seasoning). Mix in a pot and bring to a boil. Serve with chips, cheese, and sour cream. Jeff likes to eat his as chip dip.
September 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM
I haven't been very healthy....so I don't know if I have any healthy recipes to share :( I'll steal yours though!
September 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM
Okay, I am a total crockpot cooker and I found a great "seasoning packet" at Albertsons on the isle with all the taco seasoning etc. You peel and slice potoatoes, carrots, celery and put them in the crockpot. Then you put some chicken tenders on top. You add 2 cups of water to "the seasoning" (I don't have anymore but will let you know the brand when I am at the store next time) and you dump it on top! Kylee devoured it! I am a fan of the seasoning isle because they usually have some great ideas that are super simple and literally require throwing a few things in the crockpot. I tried BBX pork ribs in the crockpot last week which required putting the bonless rib meat in the crockpot and dumping an 88 cent tub of BBQ sauce on. Throw in some baked potatoes or make some flavored rice and you are good to go!