The Red, White, and Green
Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Today I ventured downtown to pick up Greg from school. On our way home we seemed to notice a considerable amount of cars, trucks and vans waving the Mexican flag.
One truck had a bed filled with people on lawn chairs waving a Mexican flag in the wind. Windows were painted with "Viva Mexico". Horns were blaring and the distinct sound of a badly played trumpet could be heard in the distance. Children lined the streets waving and laughing as women took pictures.
We had found ourselves smack dab in the middle of an impromptu parade.
I could see the look of confusion on the faces of the other motorists. Why was traffic so slow? What was all the honking? What's up with all the Mexican Pride? I just smiled.
They didn't know what I knew. Today is Mexican Independence day. And although we did little to celebrate, being a small part of this parade thoroughly made my day. I only wish my brother was here to see this. He's 1/16 Mexican you know.
September 17, 2008 at 7:46 AM
So they're celebrating the independence of the country they (or their parents/grandparents etc) fled for greener pastures? Interesting...too bad the UK doesn't celebrate one particular national holiday...I would clear my calendar, decorate my car, and slow roll it down I-5
September 17, 2008 at 8:34 AM
i am cracking up at this, glad to see you back at the blog!
September 17, 2008 at 6:53 PM
Viva Mexico!!!! I hope you had tacos for dinner!
September 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM
Y tu tambien.
September 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM
haha, of course you would know that! Wayto be a part of the parade! Hooray for Mexico.
September 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM
How funny! Hope you were inspired and joined in the celebration!
September 22, 2008 at 11:38 AM
It was just pointed out to me that Abigail was born on Mexican Independence Day. How appropriate, wouldn't you say, given our Mexican heritage. So I think we'll add Dolores to her name (for Dolores, Hidalgo where the celebration originates).