Thumbs  

Tuesday, September 23, 2008



I heard some squaking coming from Bennett's crib this evening. I hesitated, hoping he would go back to sleep. but I kept hearing [squak] silence. [squak] silence. He was acting like a boy in distress.

I found him in his crib, perfectly safe. He was swaddled tightly, but had somehow managed to wriggle his arm out just far enough to get his thumb in his mouth. When a jerky movement disloged his life or death latch on his thumb, he would squak until he frantically found it again.

It's official. I've got a thumb sucker. and I couldn't be more thrilled.

In celebration of this milestone, I have for your enjoyment a poem from my youth:

Thumbs by Shel Silverstein
From Where the Sidewalk Ends

Oh the thumb-sucker's thumb
May look wrinkled and wet
And withered, and white as the snow,
But the taste of a thumb
Is the sweetest taste yet
(As only we thumb-suckers know).

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ Thumbs ”

  • Renee
    September 24, 2008 at 3:37 AM  

    What a great picture! How funny that he managed to get his thumb out of his tight swadle...he must have really wanted it bad! Thanks for doing the B-day announcement for my mother-in-law. She is thrilled!

  • Sharon
    September 24, 2008 at 4:30 AM  

    I love this picture of Bennett. I just put up all new pictures on the big bulletin board in the hall and this is one that I put up. I can't believe he is officially a thumb sucker now. Great poem by Shel Silverstein.

  • Angela and Mike
    September 24, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

    haha, I love thinking of him squaking until he finds his thumb. I miss that little guy. I loved the poem too!

  • Jill
    September 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

    What a sweetie-pie. Thumb-suckers just look so cozy. Angie was a thumb-sucker who simultaneously had to hold her favorite blankie by the correct corner, while brushing a stuffed baby kangaroo's tail across her nose. It took both hands and a lot of coordination to manage all three comforts. When she lost her blankie at age 4 she had to give up the thumb and "kangie" because they just went together. It was sort of an "all or nothing" thing.

  • Kandis
    October 1, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

    Oh I am SO jealous!!! After having the best sleeper ever (kenedee) with her soothing thumb sucking skills, I was almost trying to force Lincoln with the thumb. He never got the hint and I'm oh so sad!