Adventures in Flying
Monday, April 9, 2007
Sunday as I was getting ready for a flight from Arizona to Portland I thought I was perfectly prepared. I had a fed and changed Jackson who had an early nap so he wouldn’t be cranky. But of course life always finds SOMETHING to mess up any sense of plan you had prepared.
As soon as we walk onto the plane and sit down the smell of a messy diaper completely filled the air. I started sweating as I realized that Jackson was the culprit. I quickly jump up and ask the flight attendant if I can change him in the bathroom before takeoff. “If you’re fast” she says. So with lighting speed I rush into the bathroom and with no wiggle room I change a doozy on my lap. Of course since I’m rushing it gets all over my pants. I finally sit down in my seat. A clean Jackson and a dirty mom. I spend the next 10 minutes wiping myself down with Jackson’s baby wipes. Sick.
So we take off and I am finally recovering from the crisis when another one comes at me. Jackson starts to VOMIT all over his clothes and into my lap (that I had just wiped down). I am mortified when the woman next to me jumps up to help. I strip Jackson down, put his clothes in a bag, wipe him off, wipe myself down. I then realize that Jackson’s change of clothes were in my checked bags! So I borrowed an airline blanket and tied it on him liked a cape. He looked like a little superhero, and at least that gave me a chuckle. Well at least he was just airsick and that it was out of his system after takeoff right?
Wrong.
As I was holding him, he finally fell asleep in my arms. Ahh a moment of peace so that I could relax from the exhausting events---except that Jackson wakes up vomiting again! This time he completely soiled two airline blankets (one as a cape, one as a blanket). So I complete the process again.
As we left the plane. I had a naked child (except for a bad diaper job and a new airline blanket that I tried to put on like a toga) I got a lot of dirty looks as I was waiting for his stroller. I would have taken a picture except that my camera was neatly packed away next to Jackson’s clothes…in my checked bags.
So 3 airline blankets, 34 wipes, 2 pairs of pants, 2 barf bags and 16 napkins later, we arrived safely in Portland.
Happy Easter to you all.
April 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM
oh my goodness. that sounds awful. flying with babies is always stressful but that sounds above and beyond anything i could have handled. you are an amazing mom!
April 9, 2007 at 6:25 PM
wow! well i am sorry the flight was horrible, but it was fun to see you and jackson. he sure is cute!
April 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM
I've heard lots of flying horror stories, but that's the worst I've ever heard. I am so sorry. Glad you are home and hopefully have had some down time.
April 11, 2007 at 8:07 AM
I love it! It never fails to happen in the worst possible places. Sounds like you handled it well though. You're a good mom.
April 16, 2007 at 5:45 AM
Heidi, I am really happy you put that story on there. It made me smile (I would have laughed, but I am in class)! I love that you made him a toga.