Parenting Successes  

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Being a parent is not for sissies. My mind has to be constantly engaged all day in order to persuade my kids to do what I want them to do. Even locking myself in the bathroom provides no reprieve as the kids have no respect for privacy and are happy to yell for snacks even through a locked door.

But today was one of those days where my parenting skills were at the top of their game. I love those days.

Today as I was cooking dinner I peeked in on the boys as they were playing. Jackson after making eye contact with me began proclaiming a string of "potty" words (all dealing with excretion) to a giggly Bennett. He knew I had heard him, but he figured I would choose to ignore it because I was busy with dinner.

Oh how wrong he was.

"Jackson come here for a second" I called in my most sing-songy innocent voice. I knew he wouldn't come if he thought I was mad.

"What?"

"Can you grab a plastic bag please?"

"Why? Are you going to throw away my toys?" He looked concerned.

"No, just grab a bag and come here."

So he did. Then I dropped the bomb as I explained his punishment.

"If you seem so fascinated by disgusting words, you can do a disgusting job for me by picking up all the dirty diapers that are in the hallway and put them in the bag. When you're done please take it out the garbage."

He was horrified. I was trying not to crack a smile because inside I was beaming with joy at my perfect punishment. After all, with 2 kids in diapers, we accumulate several in a matter of hours. And could there be a more perfect punishment to fit the crime?

After trying to get out of it for about 10 minutes he finally did it. He HATES dirty diapers, so it did the trick. I do my best to traumatize the kids just enough to keep them in line. I don't think I will be hearing any words about bodily functions around this house for awhile.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 Validations of my effort: to “ Parenting Successes ”