While I was sleeping...  

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jackson interrupted my afternoon nap (which wasn't happening anyway with a hungry baby, some neighbor's circular saw, and a particularly annoying ice cream truck). "Mom, do you want to see my amazing surprise?"

I cracked one eye. "Jackson I really need to sleep. I am very tired and this the only time I can nap."

You see Jackson has finally given up naps, much to my dismay. So the stipulation is he must play quietly so I can still nap when Bennett and Davis do. The problem is when Jackson doesn't nap, Bennett most assuredly does not want to nap either, so getting 2/3 boys asleep these days is no small miracle.

Jackson was dejected. "I promise I will see it when I get up in a few minutes."

Famous last words.

When I finally get up (Bennett wakes up 5 minutes later) I go downstairs. "Mom, do you want to see my surprise now?"

"Sure" I say in a very unenthused kind of way. Missing naps is pretty much the worst thing on earth to me. Until I see the surprise.

"Look mom!"

I look on the table as this "surprise" is unveiled. I see a pitcher filled with lemonade. But not just that. I also see an empty milk jug, sugar, 3 oranges sliced in half, 1 sliced lemon, a used juicer and an open packet of crystal light lemonade.

"Did you put milk in it?"

"Yeah it made it taste soooo good." he said. I guess the look of horror as I realized he sliced fruit without me knowing and used all the milk in the lemonade wasn't to his liking.

"Mom aren't you happy I made lemonade?" He looked near tears.

"Yeah, that's amazing you were able to do that all by yourself" (I tried my best to put on a proud face) "but next time you have to ask me before you make something and I need to help you."

"You want to try some?"

"Ummmm, no thanks, but I'll put it in the fridge for later"

So whats a mom to do when her oldest son no longer naps, creates havoc in the kitchen, and probably comes near death slicing citrus with knives?

Make lemonade of course.

But I still can't bring myself to taste it.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 Validations of my effort: to “ While I was sleeping... ”