The twitterpated 5 year-old
Saturday, June 11, 2011
By the way, I wonder if "twitterpated" still means anything to the younger generation. Maybe they think it's just someone who is on their Iphone a lot?
Anyway, this is guest blogger Greg Rose. Long time lurker...once or twice a year poster. But I had an interesting conversation with Jackson the other day and wanted to share it.
Once a month I try to do an "interview" with the boys where I take them 1-on-1 and ask about their lives. It's pretty simple stuff right now (what are you learning in pre-school? making any friends? what's your favorite book? toy? what did you learn in church this week? etc.), but the idea is we'll develop a routine that will facilitate sharing of more important details later in life. Such as how their love life is progressing (hopefully very slowly as long as they live with us...).
Little did I realize age 5 is when we'd cross that bridge for Jackson. As best I can remember, here's a snapshot of our interview this past Sunday...
Me: So who are your favorite friends at pre-school?
Jackson: C'mon dad, you know! I've told you about her before.
Me: Oh, you mean that girl you gave me a picture of? (Jackson has talked off and on about Natalie, a girl in his class he seems to have a crush on. In fact, he gave me a wallet size picture of her I could take to work and put in my office. He's still not aware that I chose not to weird out my co-workers, and stowed it safely in a drawer at home instead).
J: Yes! Natalie.
Me: Right...so what do you like about her?
J: Lots of things...(thoughtful pause, and here comes the list of qualities his future wife will need)...
*Well she's so beautiful, even more beautifuler than Mom! (debatable, but I let it slide).
*She wears the prettiest dresses.
*She's a WAY better colorer than me (no easy admission for him), and even a better artist than me too (also a big concession on his part).
*She's never ever ever splever acting silly in class. (side note: Heidi later told part of this story to Natalie's mom, who said "yeah she is actually a really serious child." Kudos to Jackson for an early ability to read people)
*She even knows how to read like me. Well maybe not like me...but she can read maybe 4 or 6 pages. Not big books, but she's pretty good. (that's more of the competitive Jackson I know)
*But she's really smart, and works SOOO hard in school.
Me: Yeah, how do you know she works hard? Like what does she do?
J: Well, she's always coloring and always right at the table when we're supposed to be.
Me: Huh, do you think she knows you like her?
J: Um, yeah I think so. (How do you know?) Well, I like to sit by her in reading circle. And we're always coloring next to each other at the same tables.*
Me: Does she talk to you very much, or does she like talking to her girl friends more?
J: Well she talks to me a little bit, but not really. Mostly she talks to girls all the time...(big sigh)...I wish I was a girl.
Ah...young love. When you would do anything to get the attention of your crush, even if it meant changing genders :). Hang in there little dude. Some day being the opposite gender will actually be an advantage.
June 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM
Little Jackson--always into the ladies. I seem to recall some girls sitting in front of him at a sporting event, and possibly an olympic figure skater, and maybe a contestant on American Idol. Were those all his crushes or am I thinking of somebody else? Don't worry, little guy. You're pretty cute and definitely smart, so eventually all the girls you're noticing are bound to notice back.
June 12, 2011 at 5:08 AM
Awesome...one day he will get his very on "LRC girl"....I wonder how many headsets he'll have to check out before then?
June 12, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Oh that is so adorable!
June 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM
jackson is a smoot man!
June 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Love the headset comment already established by @hksedwick. Looks like that gene will run deep in the boys. Nothing like puppy love...
June 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Aww. I'm pretty sure I have a crush on this little boy.
June 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM
How adorable! And what a smart idea to do monthly interviews. :)