Boys and Girls  

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Two nights ago I packed the kids in the car and drove with my parents to a BYU Volleyball game. Jackson had fun watching and cheering the cougars on, but his eyes kept wandering...to a group of little girls about 3 rows in front of us.

Slowly he crept closer. His eyes were on me as he slid down the row. Finally he whispered "Mom, how about if I sit right behind them."

"Sure," I said, trying my best to hide my smirk. So he sat there, as quiet as can be, just staring longingly at these 3 girls.

At one point he had a flash of inspiration, "Mom! What if I share my chex mix with those girls?" I pulled the chex mix out of my purse and handed it to Jackson. He boldly walked down the bleachers and sat a few inches away. He pulled out a single piece of chex and flicked it next to one of the girls as a sort of peace offering.

Without knowing, one of the girls accidentally sat on it.

So Jackson mustered of the courage to sit right next to the girls. Jackson was heartbroken to realize that each time he moved closer, the girls moved away. Again and again.

Finally, Jackson walked slowly back up the bleachers and said, "mom, those girls won't let me sit by them." Nearly broke my heart. I guess Jackson had to learn an early lesson about girls. I was just hoping he would be 15 when he learned it, instead of 3.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


8 Validations of my effort: to “ Boys and Girls ”