My unique thankful list...
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Each night as we pray before bed, we always express thanks for some of the wonderful blessings we receive. Our families, our freedom, clothing, shelter, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Prophet, the missionaries, our friends.
But there are many things I am thankful for each day that never get mentioned in my prayers. But often it is these unmentioned things that I am most grateful for at the end of each day. So here is a shout out to the unsung heroes of my life...
1. Weekly garbage pick up: You know the feeling you get when your trash can begins to overflow? When you start balancing banana peels and granola bar wrappers hoping it won't topple over? When the trash on the bottom emits a stench that begins to permeate the kitchen? That's when I'm thankful for weekly trash pickup. Garbage man, without you, my life would be in the dumps.
2. Running water: My brother is serving a mission for our church in Micronesia Guam on a small island called Palau. Here is what his letter said this week: "I was talking to a Palaun member named Joel (Joe-el) and he was asking about California and I said it doesn't rain like it does here, and he replied, "then how do you catch water?" And that is why I am grateful that I can turn on the sink and in an instant have bed head combed, sticky hands cleaned, and a and a nice warm shower. I can't imagine how my life would change without a warm shower.
3. Mild Fall Weather: As the wonderful Wisconsin summer ended, my mind started to slowly fill with thoughts of winter. Not good ones. The dread came slowly, kind of how I felt about finals looming even though it was only mid semester. I was not looking foward to it and could already feel the sadness of winter on the horizon as I started to prepare Halloween costumes. But it seemed like each week went by and still no snow. In fact the weather has been in the 50s and 60s for weeks now. My heart has been filled. One less week of snow means I can last that much longer come April. It snowed tonight. But I am okay with it. Fall has done me well. Winter. Bring it on.
4. Garage Sale Season. Yes it's over. But during the summer it's the reason I get out of bed each Friday and Saturday morning. And my kids. Finding deals feeds my soul.
5. Pizza cutter: I know it seems trivial, but the pizza cutter is one kitchen tool I cannot live without. I use it multiple times EVERY DAY. Jackson needs his pancakes cut? A few quick cuts with the pizza cutter and voila! mission accomplished. Bennett wants a quesadilla for lunch? Pizza cutter to the rescue. Sandwiches into triangles? Toast into strips? String cheese into bite sized pieces? Again the pizza cutter saves the day. I might invest in another actually...
6. Batteries and Light bulbs: I just went to the store this week and bought the family sized packages of light bulbs and batteries. The kids have been bringing me old toys that have run out of batteries all day. I might as well put on a red hat because it's like Christmas around here with all the working toys. And walking into a room that is brightly lit after weeks of dim lighting is so refreshing. How did I last so in these dark rooms?
7. Baby Wipes: Cleaning countertops, wiping snotty noses, cleaning upholstery, wiping up accidents. Just a few of the THOUSANDS of uses I have for baby wipes. and oh yeah changing dipaers too. Even Jackson has picked up on it. When I start to get low on wipes I panic.
I have other things, but I won't go into detail about all of them. Like nail clippers, hair bands, dustbusters, and drive-thru windows.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
November 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM
very nice list there Heidi! it is definitely good to be grateful for the obscure things of the world.
November 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Garage sale season. amen.
Trevor thinks I'm the biggest loser. My friends think I'm gross for buying other people's used stuff Yet, just last night I said, "Man, I just can't wait till May when garage sale season starts again!"
I plan my trips home to KC according to the biggest subdivision sales. And, I wish I were kidding.