Selection Sunday
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Before I got married, the 3rd Sunday in March was just that. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Since I have gotten married, I have realized that there is an entire world I was completely unaware of for the first 21 years of my life.
Today is Selection Sunday.
Here is what Selection Sunday means to the wife of a basketball fanatic.
Selections Sunday means keeping the phone close and the computer closer as Greg's eyes are glues to the TV so as not to miss any of the team matchups as they are announced. He must hear the matchups as they come. Heaven forbid he should wait and read them all online in about an hour. 'Could you pick up down there while you watch?' I ask. 'Sure,' he says 'just not the bathroom, I can't see the TV from there.'
Selection Sunday means my husband gives me an incredulous stare when I tell him the home teachers plan to come during the selection show. After struggling with this news all week, he reschedules.
Selection Sunday means speculation, speculation, speculation. For the past 2 weeks, the last conversation before bed, and the first conversation in the morning went something like this: 'If BYU got an 8 seed...If the game was in Kansas city...If BYU played Wisconsin....It's all very exhausting.
Selection Sunday means bracing myself for a grumpy husband who is inevitably upset by the matchup. 'We were robbed!' 'The committee hates us!' 'Philadelphia?' And my personal favorite 'I give up on BYU sports, they break my heart every year.' Lets be honest.
Selection Sunday means that our "no TV on Sunday rule" does not apply. Along with all the tournament games, Super bowl, World Series and any other game that is "once in a lifetime." But games watched on mute apparently do not count as "watching."
Selections Sunday means a lot of terms I don't understand. I just recently learned what "seeding" meant aside from the more widely known association with planting. Bracketology is not a college major. The bubble, the big dance, and RPI are terms I can honestly say I never even heard until after I was married.
Selection Sunday means my husband will meticulously fill out a bracket, using only the most convoluted system. I made the mistake of writing it once. Never again. He will do research and read and watch game tape of each team in order to make the most informed decision possible. And yet, based on his past experience, he will still lose to me.
Let the March Madness begin!
March 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM
I googled the question "is "seeding" more commonly used with bracketology or planting?" and the answer came back as bracketology...sorry you lose ;).
And this is the year I select a perfect bracket.
March 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM
hahah... you guys are funny! I think the Rockets will win the whole thing... wait, that's the NBA
March 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM
haha, this is awesome heidi. Greg...I hope you cleaning the downstairs while watching. I totally understand why you were not able to clean the bathroom. I actually had to nurse colton upstairs with no tv during the selection show, I wasn't very happy about it. Colton didn't seem to mind however.
March 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM
I love reading your posts. They're so clever! I still have so much to learn about the "Madness" as well...
March 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM
Sounds like you guys need a DVR. It's done wonders for our marriage. By the way, I usually read your blog through Google Reader so when I hit your site today to leave a comment I noticed your new header. That is GREAT. I want to turn my kids into bobble heads.
March 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Okay, I am dying laughing. You need to copy and paste this one onto the family website. You crack me up.
March 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM
heidi,
one of your best posts ever! You are a great writer. you paint a great picture of Greg.
-mike
March 17, 2009 at 10:03 AM
hehehehe... I'm giggling to death here. It sounds exactly like my house - Cameron had to check the brackets as soon as we got home from church. Then called the other BYU fans in the ward to have a complaining session - at least he found another vent besides me. :) I just found Cameron some tickets to the Kansas City games on Thursday - he's like a little kid going to Disneyland!
March 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
March 17, 2009 at 10:15 AM
Heidi - I love it! That makes me miss Greg as I don't have any friends down here that are even close as sports fan as Greg is. The funny thing is that Kristi is basically the opposite as you. I was watching the Selection Show as she was making dinner and she got mad at me that I didn't pause it so she could watch it with me later!! One of the many reasons I married her!! :)
March 17, 2009 at 11:35 AM
You had a sad first 21 years heidi. BYU should be in Kansas City as a #7 seed playing... Oh and Utah as a #5 seed? What were they thinking...
March 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM
P.S. That last comment was clearly by Cameron and not by me - like I even know who is playing who... One of these days he'll get his own account... maybe...
March 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM
I'm glad married you and you married Greg...he's added so much to your otherwise boring third Sunday of March and you love him despite it. I'm glad for the whole thing.