On Thin Ice  

Monday, March 9, 2009

Wisconsin winters have brought several firsts to our family. Bennett's first pair of gloves, Jackson's first taste of snow, our first time in negative temperatures, my first experience shoveling a driveway, and Greg's very first scarf.

But since the first snow, Greg's fascination has always been with the freezing water. He is the first to point out birds that are walking on the nearby frozen pond. He was in awe of the "ice houses" that dot the lakes in Madison during ice fishing season. He couldn't pull his eyes away from some kids playing hockey on a lake off the highway. He even signed up for the "polar plunge" (only to drop out soon after). So why didn't it surprise me when, during our drive to Michigan to visit my brother, he said, "I really want to walk on some frozen water. I have NEVER done that before." It's as if walking on frozen water was a lifelong dream that had yet to be fulfilled.

So he spent the 3 days in Michigan testing the ice at a nearby pond/large puddle. I often caught him looking out the window to see if the ice had somehow melted. Sometimes I would turn around and he was gone--standing outside to feel if the outside air was cold enough to freeze the ice thick enough to hold is weight.

"Mark my words. I will walk on that ice before we leave." He told everyone. Now he was stuck.

But sure enough as we pulled out to return home, Greg got out of the car, and did the unthinkable.



He walked on water.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


13 Validations of my effort: to “ On Thin Ice ”