Off to the Races...
Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's official.
I have just entered to run my first race. Thanks to the positive peer pressure of some friends, I will be running an 8k (I know all you runners are laughing your heads off) the end of April.
Here is a brief history of my running milestones.
Age 8: With a new (to me) pair of slip on (off brand) keds I won the unofficial 100 meter dash at recess - even against the boys. I was convinced it was the shoes.
Age 10: Wearing similar shoes I was now losing to boys. I moved on to handball as my recess activity of choice.
Age 13: While running the bi-semester long run in PE, I vomited half way through so I was able to quit early. I was thrilled.
Age 14-18: Played no sports because who likes to run?
Age 19: I opted out of BYU's PE credits by taking HEPE, a class where you learn about healthy eating and lifestyle without actually having to do it.
Age 21: Shortly after getting married, Greg and I went on a run for our family home evening activity. We had to stop after 1/2 a block because I vomited in the bushes. Do you see a theme?
Age 25: While watching Oprah at the gym I ran 2 miles on the treadmill without stopping. My own personal best.
This should be interesting. Perhaps I can still keep my T-shirt if I vomit half way through.
February 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM
alright! Go Heidi. How are you going to train with all that snow? I want to know what friend had the convincing power to get you to sign up. I think as long as you don't vomit...it will be considered a success!
February 5, 2009 at 6:04 PM
Ha Ha! Good luck with that one! I'll just cheer you on from down south!
February 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM
Wow, you like running as much as I do! You are brave.
February 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Yay Heidi! You can do it!
February 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Let me guess...you're running the crazy legs race! We (well, Miriam) ran it during our first year in Milwaukee. It was awesome. Nothing like an 8k run topped off with beer and music in Camp Randall Stadium. Get ready for some hills!
February 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM
First, this race. Next, the Wasatch Back!
February 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM
I can always run on a treadmill but not at all on the street. There's something about a treadmill that makes it soo much easier. Good luck on the race! Way to go chicka!
February 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Well now that you've announced it to your e-bff's you are stuck! I will cheer you on and maybe join you next year.
February 6, 2009 at 8:05 AM
You don't want to just match your brother Matt's goal of finishing a 1/2 5K? BTW, is it gross that I love vomit stories? I don't think so, because I actually am deathly scared of vomiting (I didn't puke at all while pregnant with Sam).
February 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM
Your running history sounds about as great as mine...you will do just fine! Good luck with your "training"...maybe you will join the Wasatch Back team next year???
February 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM
That's awesome! I'm running an 8K the end of March and I don't think I've ever run that far in my life. Good luck with your training :)
February 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM
Who are you running with? I'll do it with you!
February 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Nice. Don't hurt yourself. Trade in those Keds for some Heelies and you can just roll if you get tired.