Monday, February 16, 2009

In order to best utilize Jackson's "spirited" qualities, I began reading a book called "Raising your Spirited Child." The book begins like this:

"Is your child more perceptive? Does he hear you opening a piece of candy from the other room? Does he remember words and phrases even if he only hears them once? Does he pick up on things that other kids do not? Does he remember things that have long since left your memory?"

yes, yes, yes and yes.

Here are a few examples.

A few weeks ago Greg came home from school and gave Jackson a kiss. Jackson got a silly grin on his face and said "loves first kiss!...Thats from Shrek." Shrek has since been removed from our movie viewing rotation.

Yesterday I asked Jackson who he was going to see in nursery, "Emmett?" hmmm, no, considering he lives over a thousand miles away. Today he asked to go to Logan's house because it is "so fun." Both Oregon friends, a place we haven't lived in almost seven months.

Last night Jackson misbehaved somehow, and Greg leaned over to pick him up and remove him from the situation (aka timeout). Jackson stood tall, held out his arm and growled "be still!" Thinking my stellar son had finally learned something at church and was mimicking a bible story said "did you learn that at church?"

"No," he said, "that's from 'Where the Wild Things Are." Oh well. And for the record he still got a time out.

Recently Jackson has taken to a phrase that I'm not particularly thrilled about "Leave me alone!"

Jackson do you want to go potty? Leave me alone!

Can you help me do the laundry? Leave me alone!

I think it's time for bed! Leave me alone!

Makes for really fun interactions. The funny thing is, I asked him where he learned that phrase. "Jungle Book," he said. I guess even the most benign movies have their negative influences.

(ps. as a result of compiling all these "movie-influenced" behaviors, I've come up with a quiet time chart with activities for Jackson to do after naptime other than watch movies, I'll keep you posted. Leave me alone is getting old fast.)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


6 Validations of my effort: to “ ”

  • Amy
    February 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

    I made the same kind of chart for Haylee. We did it for a while and it worked really well but I let it fall to the way side. Good Luck!

  • Angela and Mike
    February 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

    "spirited " child...I think in the Baby Whisperer they describe a spirited baby being one that notices EVERYTHING. haha, that totally is Jackson. let me know how the book goes...I can't believe he picks up that much from movies...and they are G rated!

  • Unknown
    February 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

    Sounds like you're doing a great job hun! I saw or read somewhere about giving your children choices. More than 2 or 3 choices can sometimes give them anxiety. It also said something about how children respond really well to phrases like "let's get dressed for church. Would you like to wear your khaki pants or your black pants?" over "would you please get dressed for church?" They said if you give a child a chance to say no, they usually will.

    Now... this being said, my child can't say anything yet so I have no idea how well these suggestions work out. Good luck babe! Your kids are just soo cute! Can't wait till we can see them some day!

  • Renee
    February 17, 2009 at 5:16 AM  

    That chart is darling...you should market those! I had a friend that read that book and said that it was fabulous. Keep us posted! In the meantime I am eating up all your Jackson stories...he is too cute!

  • Headle
    February 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

    Heidi,
    I love your family updates!! I know its been a while now, but I still miss having your beautiful family across the street!

    Thank goodness I can still enjoy a good dose of the Roses :) I love your chart too! Great idea!

  • Clark
    February 23, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

    I didn't think Where the Wild Things Are had words.

    Glad to hear he learned "leave me alone" from Jungle Book. Mom was worried he learned it from her since she would always tell Tucker to "leave Jackson alone."