Spring Thaw
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Today was a gorgeous day. Mid sixties. We spent all morning at the park. We came home for lunch at naps. Then we spent all afternoon at the park. Greg came home from school and spent all evening with the boys outside. Dinner was an afterthought to the kids. They must know that days like this are fleeting. We Wisconsinites have to soak it in every chance we get.
Consequently Bennett learned a new word. Rock.
As I carried him from the yard he clutched a smooth rock. "rock" he said with gleeful eyes. "yes it's a rock. Lets keep it outside" He threw his beloved rock to the ground.
As we walked in the house he said "rock, it's a rock, it's a rock, it's a rock."
As he got changed in his pajamas he looked at me and said "rock"
As I rocked him with his blanket and sang to him, he didn't listen. Instead he was whispering to himself "rock. rock. rock."
I sang the whole song and paused just before the end "to live with him some-" to see if he would fill in the final word-day. He filled in a word. "rock."
I gave him a hug and kiss and lay him in his bed for the night. He looked right up at me and said "rock."
...
If I was a more worrisome mom I might be worried about his obsessive compulsive tendencies. Instead I'll take it that he just had a wonderful day outside.
March 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM
That is so cute. I can just hear him saying, "It's a rock." Sounds like a fabulous day! Hope the weather stays nice for you.
March 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM
hahah. well it started with "wasdat?" and pointing probably 1,000 a day. Now it's going to be "rock" 1,000 a day. He is very disciplined in practicing his words. good for him.
April 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM
Bennett rocks.