When Mom Plays Legos
Thursday, October 8, 2009
I am a mother of boys. Considering the genes my husband will be contributing to our family, I may be the mother of boys for a long time. I can tell you the names of many construction vehicles. I know way too much about dinosaurs. If there ever was an "all boy" boy, Jackson is it. He watches sleeping beauty for the dragons, Nemo for the sharks and scary fish, and is now in a superhero phase I'm not sure he will ever grow out of. He pretends to fly from couch to cushions. He plays catching, kicking, and throwing games longer than is healthy. Last week Jackson pulled down his pants on the webcam to show my parents his Yoda underpants. We make snakes out of play dough, and read books about trains, cowboys, and crocodiles. I have scrubbed many grass, mud, and food stains from mine and my children's clothes.
But I try my best to maintain my femininity while surrounded by these boys. I still wear jewelry. I try to cook fancy things once in awhile (shhh Jackson even likes to help sometimes). I listen to musicals in the car. I cry at Oprah. I use smelly lotions. I keep a centerpiece (covered in fingerprints mind you) on the kitchen table. Sometimes, I even curl my hair. I am a female, and no amount of boys in my home is going to change that.
So sue me if I make flowers out of legos instead of buildings and monsters.
October 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM
and what BEAUTIFUL flowers they are :)
Cheers to boys. and lots of them.
October 8, 2009 at 11:10 PM
That's not just any flower. That's a Super Mario Fire Flower. As you can see, our brotherly influences have penetrated deeper than you know.
October 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM
Hang on, Heidi! Maintain that feminine mystique!