Relinquishing Control
Friday, August 14, 2009
I have never been a control freak. I am not an overly cautious person. I have never thought twice about leaving my children in the hands of family, friends, and babysitters. I don't even call to check on them.
But yesterday when my husband suggested that I take the kids to the park while he made my homemade salsa, I decided he must be joking. I took one look at his face, and he was not joking. I kept giving all kinds of reasons why this was a ridiculous suggestion. The recipe is very difficult and involves chopping, blending, dicing, and the perfect balance of ingredients. I have made it so many times, it would only take me a minute. The onions will make you cry.
He did not budge. He wanted to make the salsa.
I wanted to let him help. I did. But I was not ready to pass the salsa reigns off to my husband, because whenever homemade salsa is involved, way too much is at stake. We were having dinner guests that night who would be partaking in the salsa goodness. If the preparation turned out bad, the results would be disastrous.
But I left. I walked out the door with the two kids, but that salsa was at the forefront of my mind. Would he remember to only put in a few jalapeno seeds? Does he know how to dice a tomato? What if he uses to much or too little cilantro. I could not stop thinking about it. I placed my phone in my back pocket "just in case."
He didn't call. I got so anxious after 15 minutes that I called him. as the phone rang I thought 'why couldn't I let this go it was just salsa for goodness sakes.'
"Hows the salsa?" I tried to ask casually.
"It's good, you didn't need to call. I didn't call you so obviously it's going fine."
"Okay well I have my phone if you need anything. DO NOT hesitate to call with questions."
"Just one thing, when you cut up a green onion, do you cut all the green shoots off one onion?"
That's it, I thought. It's too hard for him, just like I thought. I packed the kids up and rushed home. He was just chopping up the last of the tomato when I arrived. He seemed cool as a cucumber
It looks pretty good I said cautiously. I tasted it.
He did a great job. It tasted wonderful.
Now that I have relinquished control of my salsa, I'm thinking of passing the reigns to Greg in several other arenas: he can bathe the kids, clean the house, and cook all the meals.
It might be hard, but I think I will eventually be able to manage.
August 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM
hahah! that is funny. by the way, I have never tried your homemade salsa... when you come down for Christmas, this will be a must...
August 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Let me know when you start relinquishing control of the packing! Cute post!
August 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM
(Insert packing-phobia joke here)
August 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM
haha, great story. And now, you must make the salsa over Christmas break when we are together. Good job Greg!
August 18, 2009 at 12:13 PM
What a touching story of trust in marriage.
August 19, 2009 at 1:37 AM
Good job, Heidi! I know how difficult it can be to let go!
Just reading some old entries and catching up with the Rose's escapades!
Miss you!
August 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM
Very funny story. Sometimes I realize that Jason can do more things around the house than I give him credit for. Although there are those times he pretends he can't do something. Btw I would love to get your recipe if it's not a secret.