A day in the life  

Monday, August 31, 2009

I realize my recent posts have been few and far between. Greg and I have been enjoying the easy life for a few weeks before he starts back to school full-time tomorrow. Nothing major to report aside a quick trip to Wisconsin Dells, and a quick trip to Chicago. So to make up for the lackluster reading material, I thought I would make up for it by doing a quick account of how I spent my day today. Now you will all know just how THRILLING my day to day life is. I know that this will not be a perfect representation of my day to day (since Greg was with me for the first half of it) you can at least get an idea of the excitement that is the Rose household.

6:30 Wake up to Jackson calling us from his bed.
6:31 Go back to sleep while Jackson watches Jonah, a veggie tales movie.
7:15 Wake up and get Jackson and myself some breakfast. Honey bunches for him, and Mini wheats for me. Check my email as I eat.
7:30 Throw last night's dishes in the dishwasher and do a quick cleanup of the kitchen.
8:00 Greg and Bennett wake up.
8:15 Get the boys dressed. Feed Bennett.
8:45-9:30 The boys are being cute and playing together. So I sit and watch them even though I have a long laundry list of errands.
9:30 Put Bennett down for a nap and hop in the shower while Greg watches Jackson
10:30 Jackson and I get in the car on the hunt for goggles for his swim lessons he starts next week. Greg stays home to get some work done while Bennett sleeps.
10:35 No goggles at Target.
10:45 No goggles at Walgreens.
11:00 Drop off our library books and movies. Decide last minute to try Wal-Mart for some goggles.
11:20 Do a happy dance because Wal-mart had their kids goggles on sale for a dollar.
11:30 Pull into the garage, and Greg brings Bennett and hop in the car.
11:40 Drop Greg off at the YMCA to play basketball on our way to Costco.
12:00-12:40 Taste some samples, pick up some pictures, buy peaches and milk, and have lunch at Costco.
1:00-1:40 Drive back to the YMCA to pick up Greg and drive him downtown and drop him off at school (also make a quick stop at the Post Office).
1:40-2:10 Drive back home, unload the car and get the kids down for naps. They go down easily.
2:15-2:35 Check my email, waste time on the internet.
2:37-4:00 Put myself down for a nap. I rarely sleep well during naps, but I had a great nap. I even drooled and dreamed.
4:01 Bennett wakes up. We play for a few minutes on the ground.
4:05 Jackson wakes up.
4:05-4:15 Jackson plays computer games. I write my grocery list. Bennett does crawling laps around the living room.
4:15 Put the boys in the car and head to the grocery store.
4:30-5:45 Do my bi-monthly grocery shopping with both boys in tow. They did great. Aside from a small applesauce incident.
5:55-6:15 Arrive home. Unload groceries. Give some snacks to the kids and get dinner on the stove.
6:15 Greg gets home and entertains/feeds the kids while I finish dinner.
6:30-6:45 Eat dinner and chat about our day. Jackson plays with his puzzle in the living room instead of eating.
6:55 Jackson eats dinner. I get Family Home Evening lesson ready.
7:10 Family Home Evening lesson on "Being an Example."
7:20 Jackson loses interest so we end early. Dish up our ice cream for our treat.
7:30 Start to get the kids ready for bed.
7:40 Still chasing Bennett around with a diaper.
7:45 "Mom change my diaper because I'm poopy" Jackson says. "You're wearing underpants" I say. Go to the bathroom and clean up the mess.
7:50 Both boys in pajamas. Greg puts Bennett to bed.
8:00-8:20 Read Jackson a book, Sing a song, brush teeth, and say prayers.
8:21 Lights out.
8:45 Write this blog.

I assume the rest of the night will go something like this. pick up the living room, throw a load in the dishwasher, waste time on the internet and start a new book.

Riveting I know. It was actually a very easy day. It's always easier when they boys nap well and there are lots of errands to run.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 Validations of my effort: to “ A day in the life ”

  • Jessica
    August 31, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

    Sounds pretty familiar! :) It sounds like you guys had a great summer and are getting settled back in Wisconsin. Good luck with school starting!

  • Jordan
    September 1, 2009 at 1:46 AM  

    wow! that sounds pretty exhausting. thanks for sharing, it makes me feel better about being in school. i did notice that you have a lot of things accomplished in 15 minute increments. this is good, because a wise man told me that success is achieved in 15 minute increments. cause if you have a spare 15 minutes, you can either turn on the TV, or do something productive. and those 15 minutes will add up at the end of the day and you will be much more successful in the long run. Anyway, glad to see that you guys are applying this principle.

  • Jill
    September 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

    No such thing as an easy day with kids...even good days are long! But it sounds like you made fabulous choices all along the way. Those little boys are blessed to have you, and vice versa.

  • Ashley
    September 1, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

    Hold the phone. Bennett wakes up at 8:00, goes to bed at 8:00, and takes two naps, which total at least 2 hours? Before I read this, I thought I had an easy kid. Was I wrong!