Baggage  

Friday, August 7, 2009

I used to think he was just being lazy.

Now I think it's a medical condition.

No matter the circumstances, my husband cannot pack. He literally cannot do it.

When leaving for college his mother packed every single item he would need. When transferring from area to area on his mission, his companions would get so frustrated by his procrastination, that they would pack for him.

I secretly think that he got married so young so that he could find SOMEONE that would pack for him for eternity. I was so naive.

Ironically we have moved several times since we have been married. WHen we moved to Wisconsin from Portland, I had a 10 day old baby, and Greg packed a single box: books, the easiest of the packing responsibilities. He used some excuse like "mono" or "strep throat" to get out of that one.

I have come to terms with his condition. I pack for trips. I pack for Greg's business trips. I packed for our move to New Jersey, I will pack for our move back. I have packed for every weekend trip we have had this summer (and we have had several).

So here is the question. We leave tomorrow for our trip back to Wisconsin. Greg went into work at 4 am to finish up some last minute projects. How will he get out of this one?

a) He will claim exhaustion and ask for a 30 minute power nap, that will quickly become an all night snore session.
b) He will spend two hours doing the dishes.
c) He will spend all evening setting up our internet in Wisconsin, stopping our mail, and other items of little importance.
d) He will get wrapped into an episode of wifeswap while trying to put away the dvd's.
e) He will get a perfectly timed business call that he "must" take outside.

What do you think he will choose?

In all fairness, Greg does a wonderful job cleaning, taking out the garbage and fitting all of our bags into the car. He is a lifesaver that way. I guess what I am saying is that I am happy to pack for eternity.

Well at least willing.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Validations of my effort: to “ Baggage ”

  • Heidi
    August 7, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

    Delurking to say you are my HERO. I can't IMAGINE packing up all by myself! And I hate it, too. My best friend in high school would tease me non-stop for my packing hatred and procrastination. We were in several performing groups and she had to MAKE me go home to pack before trips and I still wouldn't pack. And I would inevitably be running around my house frantically 30 minutes before the bus left. But then I only had to endure it for 30 minutes! :)

    I've learned my lesson and I'm much better at packing now. I have to start at least a month early. And I am blessed with a spacial genius for a husband who is much better at packing than I am.

  • RAJ
    August 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

    If you can figure out a way to score Final Four tickets, give them to him (and tell him to invite me along) and then don't say another word about it. We'll see if he can figure out how to pack for himself then.

    (As a sidenote, this brings to mind the epic scene of his mom UN-packing his stuff in his dorm room while he sat and played his guitar)

  • Jill
    August 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

    Sometimes marriage is a divide and conquer routine, isn't it? Maybe he can take the kids out instead!

  • Jordan
    August 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

    hahah.. I know that what you have said is true... I still believe Greg can overcome his packing problem someday though. Just keep being a good example for him Heidi.. maybe one day he will come to terms with his packing issues and the realize that he can do it. I think that Greg will not just choose one of the options you have listed to get out of packing for Wisconsin. He will probably use all of them at different times throughout the day. But, it's past now, so how did he get out of packing this time?

  • hilary w
    August 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

    Definitely D--distracted by Wifeswap. That's a great choice! :)