Big Mistake  

Sunday, November 18, 2007



A few months ago I thought it would be a great idea to get Jackson his own special "seat" that was just his size. I found one at a garage sale for $2.00. I am here to declare that those were the worst $2.00 ever spent.

I didn't realize that his "seat" wouldn't be used for sitting. His chair has instantly helped him grow 12 inches as now he can reach the only places I was able to keep "off limits" because they were to high. He can do the following things with his special "seat."

1. Reach the stove (it was off) and pull out the coils and metal thing underneath.
2. Pull all the magnets and pictures of the fridge.
3. Get into the junk bowl (keys, wallets, etc)
4. Open the drawer and find the scissors.
5. Climb onto the the chair, then the counter, then open the cupboard and find his flouride tablets on the top shelf. "Candy?" he asks.
6. Find and open 6 boxes of raisins and pour them out on the kitchen floor.
7. Watch a movie with his nose 2 inches from the screen.
8. Turn on the sink in the bathroom and throw anything on the counter inside (including Greg's razor)
9. Turn on every light in the house.
10. Change the thermostatat at will.

I'm sure he will discover more uses with time. As Jackson carries his chair around the house, it's as if I can see the wheels in his head turning as he sees all the things he couldn't touch before that are now free game. I finally put a stop to the rampage when he decided to try putting it on the couch and them climbing onto it to be even higher. One foot I can handle, but four feet is where I draw the line. Anybody want to buy a slightly used blue plastic chair?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


11 Validations of my effort: to “ Big Mistake ”

  • brittany
    November 19, 2007 at 8:43 AM  

    ha ha ha, you always tell the best stories. I remember when Lily was very young, she wanted something that was on our window sill. Ryan didn't want to get up and get it for her so he told her to go into her room and get her little chair and carry it back to our room. She did and a whole new can of worms was opened. Ryan was so proud of himself that he had taught her to be self sufficient and I wanted to KILL him. He had just made my life 10 times harder. Now it is actually very helpful, and I have step stools around the house so she can wash her hands etc. But it teaches Stella how to be self sufficient which I am not quite ready for. Good Luck with getting rid of the slightly used blue plastic chair!

  • Dick&Erica
    November 19, 2007 at 10:34 AM  

    This makes me want to throw away every little chair we have in our house.

  • Angela and Mike
    November 19, 2007 at 12:04 PM  

    haha, what a sneaky little kid. When I was 3 I taught my little brother (then 1) to escape out of his crib, "Here Joey, climb over here and put your foot on the dresser, jump down to the bed..."

    Kids always know how to get into things and be sneaky. Keep your eye out on that one!

  • Sharon
    November 19, 2007 at 6:53 PM  

    I'm just glad we don't have a blue plastic chair here in Houston. I thought of buying one, but I think I'll hold off for awhile!

  • Barlow Fam
    November 20, 2007 at 12:47 PM  

    "Anybody want to buy a slightly used blue plastic chair?" No thank you! : ) Too funny!

  • Renee
    November 20, 2007 at 6:01 PM  

    I love it! Such a fun but very obnoxious age, isn't it? He sounds so cute and fun. I love hearing all your stories - it reminds me that my kids are not the only "monsters" in the world. Good luck!

  • becca
    November 23, 2007 at 10:17 PM  

    haha. From the sound of it, though, the blue chair for sale is actually WELL-used. Your little Jackson is even as smart as he is cute.

  • Aleena
    November 29, 2007 at 10:29 AM  

    I was going to buy Aria a chair and table set for christmas. Not any more!

  • The Bigler's
    December 1, 2007 at 3:30 PM  

    Heidi, Can you e-mail me your address for Christmas Cards? ally85201@yahoo.com, Thanks, Ally

  • Hannah
    December 4, 2007 at 10:00 AM  

    I just have to say that this is one of the funniest things I have gotten to read in a while. Kids really have the BEST imaginations! They think of things we would never think of :). Maybe the chair could just disappear?!

    (This is Angie's sister, Hannah, BTW).

  • Jill
    December 4, 2007 at 1:00 PM  

    You have a busy, probably brilliant little guy there. All that creative energy will serve him well in life. I don't think you'll ever have to worry about him being one of those kids who says, "I'm bored. There's nothing to do." (Now that I'm a grandma, I always take the kid's side.)
    P.S. You're a great writer!