Living Room: Before and After
Thursday, January 19, 2012
One thing we loved about this house was that it was move-in ready. But once we got all moved in one room ended up being the "catch all" for all our random furniture. Unfortunately that room is the first room you see when you walk in the house. So much to Greg's chagrin, he allowed me to flex my creative muscles and makeover this ONE room.
Here is the picture of the room when we walked through it. It had great furnishings, but the color left much to be desired. We however did not have great furnishings so it was bad news all around. 
So the first item of business was to paint the walls. I wanted something that felt light and relaxing. I knew I would be spending a long winter inside and I wanted a space that didn't feel dark and heavy. So we went with a blue/gray color (Valspar Winter Flannel). After painting I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to add two huge horizontal stripes around the room. Greg was kind enough to help even though he thought it was great as it was. It was a LOT of work but I am SOO glad we did it. I just lightened the leftover paint with a lighter sample to make it one shade lighter. Aside from a near disaster where we almost ran out of paint, it turned out exactly how I envisioned.
Next we acquired the sofa via a late night craigslist adventure. I was ECSTATIC to find a Pottery Barn couch on craigslist in great condition for $400. The endtables were next (clearance at Target) and I have plans to refinish the tops. The lamps were from TJ Maxx and the chairs we bought from Costco online. The pillows were the final addition. After searching high and low for throw pillows, I finally bought fabric online that I loved and made them myself. The smaller pillows I made from canvas dropcloths that I painted with stripes.
The state art pictures were a last minute addition that I made using all items I had on hand.
Overall I am thrilled with how the room turned out. I have plans to redo some of the other rooms in the house, but I may have to give it some time, because I think one makeover a month is about all Greg can handle :)
January 20, 2012 at 6:24 AM
Heidi, it looks great! Love the stripes and your art! :)
January 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM
It looks great Heidi!! I am always nervous about stripes but those turned out awesome!! I love what it adds to the room. Have fun decorating the rest of the house when you get the chance. :)
January 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Looks awesome!! I love the stripes & the pillows. Brave move! Totally worth it!
January 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Very cool! My house next! :) I love the wall color.
January 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Look amazing! Great job!
January 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Love it. I can't believe you made those pillows. Your DIY ability amazes me. So excited to see more.
January 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Wow, wow, WOW! It looks so good! I love that you got such an expensive look with so many secondhand/DIY items. You are amazing. I'm happy to see that Wisconsin got some love, too! :) PLEASE keep showing us your decorating because I love your style.