Easiest Birth Ever  

Thursday, July 3, 2008

We are happy to introduce you to the newest member of the Rose team, Bennett Barlow Rose, born 2:42 p.m. on July 3rd. He is 8 pounds, 21.5 inches, and looks great!

Our morning began at 5:00 a.m. when I called the hospital to see if they had space for me to be induced today. Unfortunately they did not have the personnel available and told us we would need to wait and call back in four hours, much to our disappointment. After a night of waking up every hour (I believe it was 2:30 a.m. when Greg said “man, it’s only 2:30!”) we were ready to get this show on the road.

Fortunately we fell back asleep and woke up at 7:30 a.m. to a phone call from the hospital letting us know we could come as soon as we wanted! We arrived a little before 9:00 and they immediately connected me to the monitors, inserted my IV, and told me the doctor would come break my water soon. They don’t mess around! Apparently I was already having contractions about six minutes apart before they started the pitocin, was dilated to a 3, and 80% effaced so my body was prepared. The doctor said I would have delivered today anyway, which was nice to know.

Around 10:00 a.m. they broke my water, and just before 11:00 I had the epidural so compared to Jackson’s birth the pain was nothing. If Jackson was like hitting a tree on a snowboard, Bennett was skinning my knee off a skateboard. After the epidural we just hung out until about 2:00, when the nurse told me I was at a 6 and looking good. They all laughed at me when I asked if we would be done by dinner, and they let me order from the menu!

About twenty minutes later I was ready to start pushing, and 22 minutes after that a little body was plopped in to my arms. Greg hesitantly cut the cord after the doctor encouraged him (maybe forced scissors into his hand). Greg is not the manliest man when it comes to blood, needles, etc, but he held up pretty well today.

Only one minute after coming out he scored a 10 on his apgar test (a test that measures a baby’s vital signs and health). According to the doctor and the two nurses a baby scoring a 10 that quickly had never happened before in their careers. Way to go Bennett! Greg thinks that bodes well for him getting ranked on the Hoops Hype Top 100 newborn athletes list.





Jackson came to visit about two hours after the birth (thanks Amber for babysitting and driving) and he was ecstatic and demanded to hold it right away! I of course am referring to the chocolate pudding they had just given me. The baby? That could wait, he just wanted some pudding. But after a bite he realized daddy was holding a baby, and he wandered over to take a peek. With some prompting (“who’s this?”) he recognized that it was “baby Bennett” and seemed to also understand I no longer had him in my stomach. He did want to hold him and was a very sweet big brother.

That’s about it for the birth story! You can see why I titled this blog post “Easiest Baby Ever”, because it was less than 6 hours, I didn’t feel too much pain, pushed for just a few minutes and now baby is sleeping and I will be joining him. Thanks for all the love, prayers, concerns, and well wishes.

By the way, photos do not want to load for me tonight so in the interest of time I'll just share the link of every photo we took today if you would like to see more shots: http://gallery.mac.com/gregrose3#100008

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


26 Validations of my effort: to “ Easiest Birth Ever ”

  • Carsen
    July 3, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

    You should have named him Carsen since Bennet was born in the same hospital and date as me.

  • Julie Mack
    July 3, 2008 at 9:48 PM  

    Congrats! He is so adorable :)

  • Crystal
    July 3, 2008 at 10:27 PM  

    i am so excited for you. two is so fun...although crazier. he looks a lot like jackson from what i remember (when he was born). you look good. i can't wait to meet him (probably when you come here for the holidays). BTW- are you already out of the hospital or just on the laptop?

  • Zach and Sarah
    July 3, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

    Congratulations! You both look great.

  • Jessica
    July 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM  

    Congratulations Heidi and Greg! I've been checking the blog all day to see if there was any news, so I was excited to see something tonight when we arrived at my parents house. I'm glad it all went so well!! Can't wait to meet him! Hope you can get some sleep.

  • Angela and Mike
    July 3, 2008 at 11:50 PM  

    Horray! We are SO excited that baby Bennett is here...and that he came so easily. What a blessing that is with all the difficult things you guys have been dealing with. He is DARLING. What a cute baby. I love seeing Jackson's cheesey face and him "holding" the baby. Congrats. We love you guys!

  • Evan
    July 4, 2008 at 12:22 AM  

    CONGRATS. So that is why Greg wasn't at 6am bball, understandable. We need to get a few more best of 7 tournaments before you go up to Badger country.
    ps- I was also happy to hear that your newest little guy was able to be born here in Blazer country (the next dynasty) not in Houston or some other lame city.

  • guthriegang
    July 4, 2008 at 5:40 AM  

    congratulations. he is a beautiful baby. and sounds like a perfect labor!! controlled pain, and scheduled....just the way i like to do it too!! again, congrats. enjoy!

  • AJ
    July 4, 2008 at 6:43 AM  

    Well he certainly looks like one of your family! Congrats! Good job Heidi on growing a healthy baby :)
    -Annalise

  • Sharon
    July 4, 2008 at 8:24 AM  

    He is so adorable. I can't wait to hold him in person. Heidi, you look great. Jackson looks like a proud big brother.

  • Carly
    July 4, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

    Congratulations! I can definitely see Jackson in him. I'm glad everything went well... and I'm super impressed you got a blog posting up the same day!

  • septons
    July 4, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

    Congratulations!! We are so excited for you and glad that everything went so well. It is so much fun having a new baby around again, somehow we forget how wonderful they are when they are so small and cuddly and actually stay where they are when you set them down :0) Hope Jackson is adjusting well.

  • Lisa Wahlin
    July 4, 2008 at 11:49 AM  

    He is seriously such a handsome baby! Congratulations! I can't wait to see all of you guys in a couple of weeks and to meet baby Bennett. Hope you have a fast recovery!

  • Lisa Wahlin
    July 4, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

    P.S. Heidi, you look awesome!

  • Michelle
    July 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM  

    Heidi- Congrats on baby #2!! Bennett looks darling, and you look great too!! I am glad that I looked more when I saw your facebook update. Hope all continues to go well!!
    -Michelle Boyd

  • karen
    July 4, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

    He is a very handsome baby. The birth must have been easy as he does not look beat up. No swollen eyes, smashed nose, distorted head etc. He really is a beautiful baby. Congratulations to you both! I hope his disposition is as easy going as his birth. Love, Aunt Karen

  • Chanell
    July 5, 2008 at 7:43 AM  

    Congratulations Greg & Heidi! He is such a beautiful baby, and it sounds like Jackson is adjusting well so far. Kate was an easy delivery and a super easy/perfect baby- I hope that goes for Baby Bennet too. Kate as a toddler though- not so easy:) See you guys at the Reunion!

  • Unknown
    July 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

    Congratulations! Thanks for including me in this fun news.

  • renostar
    July 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

    I am so happy for you guys!! It was a comfort to read a possitive birthing experience since all I have been exposed to are horror stories. What an exciting time for your family! Bennet is a fantastic name, by the way. We love you and hope we can see the baby in person some time soon!!

  • brittany
    July 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM  

    congratulations you guys! i'm so glad it went so well and that greg was there. for pictures saturday the 12th would work for ryan. email and let me know if that day works and what times would be good with the boys schedules.

  • Jill
    July 6, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

    We are so happy for you. He's another beauty. Jackson looks like he's handling the big brother role like a champ. Congratulations!

  • becca
    July 6, 2008 at 9:55 PM  

    Hurray, Heidi and Greg! We are so happy for you. All-Star Baby Bennett is such a cutie -- and I'm glad he's been "easy" so far. You deserved a little break! Take care!

  • Melissa
    July 7, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

    Congratulations! Can't wait to meet him!

  • Hksedwick
    July 7, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

    Congrats guys!! That's exciting. I'm proud of you Greg for being a manly man and cutting that cord!

    Rich

  • Aleena
    July 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

    Congratulations! He is adorable. He looks a lot like Jackson! Hooray, now one to moving!

  • The Bigler's
    July 9, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

    Congrats. I am so glad to hear everything went well and I LOVE the name. Have fun and enjoy!