10 things motherhood has taught me  

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

1. I have learned to straighten the sheet, readjust the comforter, smooth out the wrinkes, place the throw pillows and fold back the top for a perfectly made bed (in record time mind you), all while a rambunctious toddler is jumping, crawling, rolling and climbing on it as I go.

2. I have learned the art of multitasking. If you ask me how I can chop chicken, stir broth, measure milk, and grate cheese while holding my son wiping his hands, and getting cracker after cracker, I won't be able to explain it, but I do it every day.

3. I have learned to maintain a forced smile in Target while strangers give me dirty looks because Jackson is throwing push pops on the floor by the handfuls, and after picking him up so as not to further the behavior, I remain calm as he throws his head back in protest and bangs on my shoulders to get down and screams so loud in my ears that I hear a ringing for hours. To sum up, I have learned patience.

4. I have learned to nap on command.

5. I can recite from memory, the words to "Moo, Baa, Lalala," "Is your Mama a Llama," and "The very Hungry Caterpillar." and dozens more of the books Jackson wants to read again and again.

6 . I have learned to let go of any privacy I once had in life. I now must permit a toddler to follow me to the bathroom, peek in on my showers, and point out my belly button every time I change.

7. I have learned that there are many more important things than mopped floors, sparkling sinks, and dusted shelves.

8. I have learned to shower, get dressed, do my hair and makeup in 8 minutes time. I didn't say I looked good, but it can be done.

9. I have learned to recognize the symptoms of a concussion.

10. I have learned to savor a cuddle, relish in silence, hold on to the giggles, and understand why so many moms peek in on their sleeping children each night.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


6 Validations of my effort: to “ 10 things motherhood has taught me ”