The Lily Chronicles  

Sunday, May 12, 2013

We are a completely boy house in all it's stereotypes. We don't own a single baby doll. We like trucks, dinosaurs, weapons and potty talk (well "we" is a loose term). And girls and kissing are disgusting. Like, the worst of all offenses.

Well, times are a-changing, and it seems as if we have turned a corner in our home. I should have seen the signs that it was happening when Jackson started treating his cousin like this at Disneyland this past Christmas.


But I wasn't totally prepared for it for at least another couple hundred years.

But one morning at the bus stop, Jackson revealed to me he had a girlfriend.

On the outside I was cool "hmm a girlfirend huh? What does it mean to have a girlfriend? What do you like about her? She must be pretty special!"

But the inside me was having a panic attack, "aaaaahhhhh what the heck? You are seven years old, and a BOY! There is no way on earth this is going to happen!"

Luckily I kept panicky mom under wraps. Jackson explained that he knew he couldn't have a real girlfriend, but that Lily was just a girl that was also a friend. More like a girl buddy. Panicky mom liked that answer.

But it was clear that Jackson thought of this "Lily" as more than a girl buddy. One night he stayed up for a few hours after bedtime crafting the perfect gift for Lily. Included was a pink pencil sharpener, a fruit roll up, a pixie stick, a valentines notebook and a heart shaped eraser, all wrapped in red and white duct tape. Clearly the items close to a seven year-old's heart.

The next morning Greg reminded him about his gift. I shot Greg the glance that said "please do not encourage this." He whispered "but he worked so hard on it!"

Well things began to escalate and panicky freak out mom was losing out to calm and collected mom. This was when the note writing began. I caught wind that this was occurring as Jackson kept running upstairs to ask how to spell "beautiful, seriously, and actually" in a very covert kind of way. Here is a picture of the first note to Lily:

It says the following:

Lily Lovers

Love Jackson
To Lily
2nt Note

I love Lily because she looks beautiful. I want to kiss Lily on the lips. I also want to marry you to. Actually, seriously, you do look beautiful. I love you lily so much. Lets kiss on the playground in  a hideing spot so nobody sees. Like Jacob, Jaydin, Ben, Cooper, Luke, like those people. Can you send me a note please, but a love note? Can you come to my house?

My address
My telephone number.

Call me.

Panicky mom had to intervene.

So I sat him down and explained that it was perfectly alright to write notes telling girls that they are pretty or nice, because any girl would like to read something like that. "But," I said, "imagine if Lily's mom read this. How would you feel?"
"Lily's mom is NOT going to read this" he responded.
"It's not about whether her mom reads it or she doesn't, but you may only write things to girls that you would be okay with her mom reading."

Thank goodness for a logical child. One point for mom.

So the next night he drafted note number two. It was much longer, but (after a few edits) also MUCH tamer.


Pick a flower and you will see the friendship it for you and me. I am your best friend. Want to play with me on the playground? I promise I will if you want me to. And by the way, ever since, I did like that ponnytail so much. I like you now because it all started remember when I was in my bus line, you said hi to me and thats why I like you so much.  Did you like the candy I gave you and note? It took me 7 hours to make that. 

To Lily From Jackson. 

Additional Poems: 
Jackson and Lily sitting in a tree, 
having friendship just like you and me. 

I like you and you like me 
and we will play on the playground, 
just you and me. 

Lily Lily I like you, 
Lily Lily lets go play 
Lily Lily it's the day

Lily's pretty and Jackson's handsome
We both look nice
and both like eachother.


For now he is still talking about her. The crazy part of me wants it all to die and the Lily saga to shut its doors so we can just go back to talking about bodily functions. But the calm, more thoughtful part of me (a very small part) is just happy he is still talking about it instead of being secretive. 

Pray for me in their teen years. 





AddThis Social Bookmark Button


9 Validations of my effort: to “ The Lily Chronicles