The Season of Motherhood
Monday, April 2, 2012
In 2008 Greg and I packed up what few possessions we had and set out for the unknown: Wisconsin.
Growing up in California I had a growing anxiety about how I would handle the Winters there. I had spent 5 Winters in Utah, but Utah Winters weren't anything like Wisconsin Winters. In fact, nothing is quite like a Wisconsin Winter.
But after moving there, a friend of ours gave us a new perspective.
Cold Winters are great he said. After surviving a Winter here, you earn a badge of honor. if anyone talks about their bad weather or their Winter horror stories, you always win, because you have survived the worst.
So I always stood with my head a little taller after that. We loved Wisconsin, Winter and all.
But now I am in a storm much different than a Wisconsin Winter.
It's being a mother of boys.
Being a mother of boys is great. After surviving a boy, you earn a badge of honor. If anyone talks about their parenting horror stories or their misbehaving children, you always win.
And I've survived three.
Well surviving.
I am now fully in the trenches of motherhood. Boys are hard. Aside from the smells, the dirt, and the other undesirable side effects of boys, they can sometimes just not be very nice. The hitting, the mean words, the malice and anger can just be so wearing that some days I just don't think I can make it. The fabric of my pants are worn thin from dropping to my knees as I pray for guidance, for my children, and just to be able to hold it together for one more day. But one day, the bitterness of Winter will melt away. These boys will grow up. While the day to day battles won't be quite so physically taxing, they also won't want to cuddle while we read books, or be held when they have a fever. They won't always find such euphoria in just running to feel their own bodies in the wind.
Because someday, Spring will come.
And so, I guess Winter isn't all bad.
April 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Love it!!!
April 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM
haha, I love Davis trying to keep up with big brothers. Once you channel all that boy energy into something awesome when they are older...they are going to be super successful :)
April 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Heidi, as a mother of 4 boys, I can relate. However, I will also add that it was my sister's little girl who came in her room and whacked her on the head with a glass cup while she was praying for help to deal with the day.
p.s. Loved the video.
April 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Classic footage. This will be your favorite in a few years. Hang in there, Mom!
April 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I love this post, Heidi! Beautiful, beautiful prose. Maybe this one for the Reader's Digest?
April 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM
lol. we died when davis was pushing bennett. crazy boys. :)
April 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM
That was so fun to read and then to watch the boys and then see Davis pushing Bennett. Sooooo cute. I know it seems like forever now but it goes so quickly. I wish I could do it all over again. I still feel on the inside like I'm 25 and should have some boys running around. Loved the post. Thanks for sharing.
April 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM
That was beautiful. And the video was super funny.
April 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I love how excited Davis was to be the one pushing! :) I totally admire all you do.
April 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM
With four boys of my own I know those days!..but growing up with 4 sisters...I love my loud crazy house over the drama house of my childhood! :) Ok I love them both! I