It was only a matter of time.  

Friday, September 2, 2011

Every mother thinks it won't happen to them. As they stare into the eyes of their sweet babies, they are so loving, so pure, it is hard to imagine they would ever grow up to resent you.

But today it happened.

"I wish I never had a mom!"

I thought I would be devastated to hear those words. But I remained surprisingly calm. My first instinct was to argue. How dare you? I'm only doing what's best for you! I don't have to finish cooking this dinner for you, you know!

But then I thought twice. I know he didn't mean it. I know he's only five and doesn't understand yet the power his words have.

"Why? What would be better without mom around?" I said

"Well, I could buy whatever food I want (gum and juiceboxes), I could eat whatever snacks I want without asking for it (a diet solely of chocolate milk and yogurt), and I could watch as much TV as I want (eighteen episodes of Scooby doo)!"

It was clear he had been thinking about this because it came out as a fluid stream of thought.

"So, you think having a mom around keeps you from having any fun?" I've been practicing my active listening out of one of my parenting books.

"Yeah!"

"Wouldn't it be great if you could eat whenever you wanted? Candy all the time! You could pay the Wii all day long! Play with your friends whenever you wanted and even ride your bike in the street!"

Now he was confused. Wait really? Is my mom saying this? But I wasn't done.

"But without a mom who would clean the playroom so you had enough room to play basketball?"

"Bennett." Good luck with that.

"How about your clothes? Who would clean them?"

"Me." Great could you start now?

"How would your tummy feel if you ate whatever you wanted and had no mom to cook you meals?"

"Hungry."

"Who would buy your clothes and food? "

"Me." I would love to see that grocery list: ice cream, fruit snacks, chocolate milk, whipped cream, bubble gum, and nutella.

"Where would you get the money?"

"The bank."

"You know banks only hold money, they don't make money."

"Oh."

And that was the end. No more fights or tantrums. I'm grateful i thought twice before snapping back with the emotional response. All it took was some logical thinking to realize his mom is pretty awesome.

That night before bed I gave him a hug just before tucking him him. I kissed his cheek.

"I'm glad you're my mom" he said.

I know buddy. I know.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


3 Validations of my effort: to “ It was only a matter of time. ”