Pregnancy and Food  

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Making good food decisions for my family is overwhelming. I want them to learn to like a variety of foods. I want them to be exposed to many different flavors and be adventurous in their eating. I want them to eat fiber, eat vegetables, fruits and lots of whole grains. But sometimes I just want to get a hamburger at Wendy's without feeling guilty.

But pregnancy has added a completely new dynamic to my eating decisions.

Eat more calories each day.

Don't eat too much sugar.

Up your iron intake to raise your hemoglobin levels.

Eat something with Vitamin C to help you absorb the iron like an orange or orange juice.

Red Meat is a good source or iron.

Don't eat too much red meat to avoid contributing to your family history of heart disease.

Eat lots of fiber. But make sure (again) you don't also increase your sugar.

Eat a variety of foods and colors to get more vitamins.

Don't eat too much at one sitting to help with heartburn.

Avoid food and drinks with high aciditiy, like oranges and orange juice.

Drink hot lemonade with honey to deal with your sore throat.

But don't consume too much sugar.

Don't eat too late at night.

Eat something right before bed to prevent you from feeling light headed in the morning.

Drink lots of water to help quell any contractions too early.

Don't drink too much water before bed or you will be up all night using the bathroom.

Sometimes I just open the fridge and stare. Cheese? Crackers? Pretzels? An apple? Granola bar? Green peppers with Hummus? Cookie dough? Popcorn? I feel paralyzed by trying to meet all the criteria in the list of "appropriate" foods.

I think I should just stop reading and eat whatever I want. Actually a cheeseburger from Wendy's sounds pretty good right about now...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


7 Validations of my effort: to “ Pregnancy and Food ”

  • Laura
    March 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

    Amen! Eat whatever you want (at least every once in a while). :)

  • Michelle
    March 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

    Go get the cheeseburger!

  • Camille Powell
    March 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM  

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  • Zach and Sarah
    March 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM  

    Oh, man! I totally agree. My favorite is trying to stay hydrated to keep the contractions away, and getting more contractions every time I have to go to the bathroom. Ironic, isn't it? Mostly I get by during pregnancy following the "moderation in all things" rule. Cheeseburgers have their place in that rule, thank goodness. Seems to work. (Except around certain varieties of cookies.)

    (p.s. I was accidentally signed in as my sister so I deleted the last comment and signed back in as me.)

  • Jill
    March 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM  

    At this point, you're pretty much justified in eating whatever gets you through the day!

  • Nancy and Spencer
    March 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM  

    Oh look, I'm blog stalking you. :)

    Just think, very soon you'll have baby boy numero tres and then your stomach won't be squished and can eat all you want, sugar and all! (Minus the spicy stuff that will give baby gas) Just a little longer, Heidi.
    p.s. How was the cheeseburger? I'm hoping you went ahead and satisfied that need.

  • Crystal
    March 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM  

    i agree! I have the WORSE eating habits when I am preggo bc I usually crave only one thing and I need to have it...like taco shop, a big juicy hamburger, etc. I wish I could remember how to make good healthy food for my fam and not want to run out the door and grab dinner every night.