Baby naming for dummies  

Thursday, October 14, 2010

I want to start today's post off with a story. When my youngest sister Hannah was born, I was eleven years old. When we were deciding on a name for her, my parents brought us all to the table with a list of names. I think by the tenth child they had exhausted their list of names. So we all essentially "voted" on the names they presented to us. Hannah was the winner. But my younger sister Kim was five. She had an idea of her own. She was very much into watching a live action version of Sleeping Beauty at the time. In the movie, they name Sleeping Beauty "Rosebud" as a baby. Kim was adamant that Hannah was not the name, and that the baby would be named Rosebud. She continued to tell others about her new baby Rosebud and pretty much ignored the fact that the unanimous family vote said otherwise. I thought it was such a cute story that she had such strong opinions at such a young age. Well she didn't win out in the end, but it is a funny memory of my childhood. I think after 16 years though, Kim has come around and I think she's okay with the name Hannah.

Today after Jackson woke up from his nap we were still waiting for Bennett to wake up from his. So I took advantage of the one on one time and attempted some quality conversation with this story in mind.

"So Jackson, what do you think we should name our baby?"

"hmmmm....Tar. Kind of like Tarzan, but just Tar."

"Is the baby going to be a boy or a girl?"

"A girl"

"Tar for a girl?"

"Yes."

No laughter. Not even a smile. Tar was his legitimate name nomination. Veto.

"Okay Jackson, I hear Bennett, and before I get him up, I want you to think of the three best names you think we should give this baby."

"Okay hmmmm. Frost, Gut, not like gum, but like Gut, and Baaa.

Veto. Veto. Veto.

Are those even names?

Well I guess it's safe to say that Jackson doesn't have strong opinions. At least not opinions I (or anyone) will be seriously entertaining.

Although Frost does sound kind of sweet...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


8 Validations of my effort: to “ Baby naming for dummies ”

  • Michelle
    October 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

    That is funny!! Lydia for a while wanted to name our baby Caterpillar. And Claire wanted to name him Duckie. It is funny the names they come up with!

  • Jamie
    October 14, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

    I can see sweet little baby Gut now... :) We had a friend whose little girl wanted to name her baby sister "Grandma"

  • Renee
    October 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

    Is it really a girl? I hope so! I like Tar...pretty sure you could make something out of that. He is such a cute kid!

  • Laura
    October 14, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

    Every time I ask McKenna (2) what we should name baby brother, she says, "boy." I'm sure he'll get called that every once in a while. Why not? :) Keep a list of Jackson's responses. They're pretty cute!

  • Jill
    October 15, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

    I am so glad you blog, so that you have a record of the hilarious things that little boy says, and so that I can enjoy them long distance. He is adorable.

    I wrote this on your Facebook status already, so sorry for the repeat: My granddaughter Erica (Jackson's age) wanted to name their new baby "Sprinkles." Hannah suggested to her that "Sprinkles" was a good name for one of her toy horses, and that the baby would be named "Emmeline." Erica responded, "I think Emmeline is a good name for a horse."

  • Kandis
    October 15, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

    I did the same thing with Kenedee, and she as well threw out a name that is really some random syllables... Cottie (like hottie but with a C or K, it does have some variety). And I thought for sure she'd forget about this random name she made up one day but she is insistent that we name the baby Cottie and is what she calls it on a regular basis. The things they come up with!

  • Angela and Mike
    October 15, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

    I'm so glad her clarified GUT instead of gum. Gut is much better. Especially for a girl name! haha. funny kid.

  • Cami and Juan
    October 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

    I'm loving Gut. And I love how he knows they're weird, so he has to specify what he really means.